Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

1998 Explorer Sport. Where is my keyless entry code located?

Old 11-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
popnfresh
fort scott ks
1998 sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
1998 Explorer Sport. Where is my keyless entry code located?

Hello Im new here and I was wondering if anyone out there knows where I can find my keyless entry code? I just purchased this vehicle, and the dealer didnt know the code.
popnfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
1999_sport
St. Thomas, Ontario
1999 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

open your rear hatch, on the left hand side theres a panel, open it, the code should be right there
1999_sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 95-01 section.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
lesliedes88
bruno,mn
98 sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999_sport View Post
open your rear hatch, on the left hand side theres a panel, open it, the code should be right there
i dont see a code nothing, just my jack. am i missing it?
lesliedes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
biznaz
Fremont, ca
98 Eddie Bauer Explorer

Vehicle Specs

You have to get a flash light and look on the side of the computer module. It is printed on a stick that is tapped to the side of the CM.
biznaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
scucci
98 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Look at the following thread. It is on the side of the RAP module which is covered by the drivers side quarter interior panel and can barely be seen through the jack opening in the panel.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ght=rap+module
scucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
Flashover

Vehicle Specs

It's where your jack is on the driver-side in the trunk. There's a white box if you look inside and there's a sticker on the front of it. You might need a mirror and flashlight to see the code.
Flashover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
andre 244
gatineau
92 93 97 99 2000more ford

Vehicle Specs

take panel off jack acess there relays two 5/16 screw to take off
the on module there two screw to take left one off pull down then you see it good
on my 99 no room to see it but this way easy take 5 min
there big number on it like 66545 that the code

When your vehicle was newly purchased from the dealer it came with a card in the owner’s manual packet that had the keypad code on it. The packet is often lost and/or discarded over time and as the vehicle trades owners the code to the Keyless Entry is lost. Ford Dealers wants some big money to get the code for you by plugging in their computer to retrieve the code or using the following method. Luckily there is a much easier and cheaper way for you to get the code and you do not need any tools or automotive knowledge. I’ll show you how and where to find the code and how to reset the Keyless Entry back to the factory code or your personal code number.

How to find the Security Keyless Keypad Code on the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer or Mountaineer and how to use the Keypad functions. The factory code is also printed on a label which is installed on the Remote Anti-theft Personality (RAP) Module. This is the module that controls the keyless entry system. It is located in the left rear quarter behind the removable panel (see photo). You will need to turn the two thumb screws counter clockwise and take the plastic panel off to be able to see the unit. A flashlight may be helpful in seeing the code. You are looking for the module and the 5 digit code on it like the one shown below.
Attachment 42920
Attachment 42921
Now that you’ve got the code I’ll tell you how to use the Keyless entry and set-up your own code.Make sure when pressing the controls on the keyless entry keypad you press the middle of the buttons to ensure good contact with the controls.
Programming your own personal entry code
1. Enter the factory-set code (keypad will illuminate when first digit is pressed).
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step 1.
3. Enter your personal 5-digit code. Enter each digit within five seconds of the previous one.
Your personal code does not replace the factory-set code. You can use either code to unlock your vehicle. Each time you set a new personal code the module will erase the previous one in favor of the new code. The factory-set code can not be erased.
Erasing your own personal code or a prior owners code and leaving only the factory-set code
1. Enter the factory-set code.
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step one 1.
3. Press the 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time within five seconds of step two.
The system will now only respond to the factory-set code.
Unlocking the doors with the Keyless Entry System
1. Enter either the factory-set code or the personal code (Each digit must be pressed within five seconds of the prior digit). The interior lights will illuminate as soon as the first valid digit is pressed.
2. To unlock all the doors, enter the factory set code or a personal code and press the 3/4 control within five seconds of the drivers door unlocking.
Locking the doors wit the Keyless Entry System
1. Press 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time. The 5-digit code does not have to be entered to lock the doors.
Deactivating/Activating Auto-lock
1. Enter the five 5-digit code.
2. Press and hold 7/8 control.
3. Press and release 3/4 control while holding 7/8 control.
4. Release 7/8 control.
The horn will chirp once if auto-lock was deactivated or twice if auto-lock was activated.
To program the hand held remotes:
Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. NOTE: All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.
andre 244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page