• Register Today It's free!

Second Battery Question

dmathews

Reaction score
City, State
Beattyville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
Ok so I was wanting to install another battery in my explorer for my system. I was wanting to know if it matters what kind it is or If i can just use a cheap one. When it was warm the worst I would get a battery drop it would dim the lights a little when it hits but now when it is cold I have the heat, lights, and stuff running and at idle isnt to good. I am only using a 1000w sony which maybe put out 700 or something but it still drops. If I can I will just use a cheap battery for now and the big three upgrade until I can afford a decent battery. Also, where is a cheap place to get 0 guage wire, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You won't need a battery for a 1000 watt sony xplode amp.... but if you want go for. If u buy a regular old car battery that'll work but it might get corrosion (I don't think I spelled that correctly). So id look into a battery made for car audio. Some brands to look @ incriminator, shuriken, kinetik, optima, and power master. For the money and power output get some shuriken's. They're comparable to kinetik but about half the price... as for 1/0 awg wire get some welding wire for $2 or less a foot. Or u can look up some knu koncepts wire.

I would probably look into why your losing power first before getting a second battery. I run a 1000 watt amp in mine and have NO problems with power loss, the HU I run is pretty much a small cpu and is probably pulling quite a bit of power itself. The 1000 watt amp was just pulled out of a 1992 oldsmobile station wagon (murder wagon) never had a problem with power loss in that vehicle either.

Well I rlly dont have much problems out of it now. The worst I loose power is at night my light will dim when it hits. Bass I love u song is the worst for it but I know this was dumb to do but I was outside with my car on and I had my subs on and my brights, fogs, interior lights and heater and not to mention it is cold and It was putting the battery guage down there. In the summer I could listed to my subs with the key turn back for over 30mins and the battery wouldnt die. But I am also looking to get a 2000w amp so I would need the second battery. That and I want to run lights and ect...

i bet if he just did the big 3 that would help w/ the voltage drop. i wanna see what volts ur pushin at idle and full tilt. how big ur power wire is, and do u plan on hooking 1/0awg to ur sony amp? do u have the stock 95A or 130A alt?

What do you mean by full tilt? I belive I have the 130a alt and I am using 4 guage wire to my amp. I will take a vid of it when at idle but songs differ, like I said bass i love u is the worse. I plan on doing the big three as soon as I can order some or buy some locally.

full tilt is when your system is cranked all the way up. start w/ the big 3 and see what happens.

i would upgrade your alternator before getting another battery. if your lights are dimming with the vehicle running, that means your battery isn't being charged properly. if you add a second battery, you will have two batteries not being charged properly. i think a second battery will just add to your problems.
$.02

Back