Where to store second battery?..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to store second battery?.....

Supergumby5000

Reaction score
City, State
Poulsbo, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Just as the title says. Ordering a Kinetik2400 battery for the new system that should (hopefully) get put in this weekend if all my crap comes on their scheduled delivery times.

I need a good home for it that is not directly in the cargo area heh. The box im building is wheel well to wheel well, and about 6 inches from the rear hatch. I am up for suggestions! I was kind of thinking of taking out the storage console on the right of the cargo area (right, facing into the vehicle) and stashing it in there, but its a 70 pound battery heh, so not sure how that will work out.

Give me some suggestions! best i got so far is underneath the rear seats :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why not put it under the hood?

im assuming you've upgraded your big three wiring and your alternator before adding a 2nd battery?

big 3 yes, alternator is going to have to wait another month or so due to funds i can currently spend.

i kind of wanted to put the second battery somewhere close to the back for easy access to wiring and whatnot to the battery, and i dont think i can fit it underneath the hood anywhere can i? its a damn heavy battery, and a little bigger than average.

Details:

» AGM (Absorptive Glass Mat) Technology
» Sealed Non-Spillable, Mounts In Any Position
» Ultra Low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance)
» More Plates, Stronger Energy Density Providing Higher Voltage Under Load
» Tightly Packed Cells For Superior Heat & Vibration Resistance
» Ah 128
» Lbs. 69
» AMPS 2600
» CA 1700
» Dimensions (L x W x H) 13" x 6.7" x 8.5" (9.4" with post)

yea you can fit it under the hood if you alter the battery tray and mount it on its side.

explorer_battery2.jpg

what about where the rear cargo storage thing is, with the little net, u know what i mean lol, or what about the other side, where the jack is, if it will fit u could put in in there, thats what i was thinking

Here's what I did with my HC2400. The rear seats have a little bit of an angle to them sloping down towards the front meaning from the top of the seats as you reach the bottom you get about 4 more inches. My box was from wheel well to wheel well also. I put the battery between the box and the back seat leaving me with about 6 inches between the hatch and the front of the box.
This picture is with the back seat laid down so you can see the battery.
kinetik.jpg

This is how far I have to the rear hatch with this box. It is 6 cu. ft. If your box is bigger than this then I don't know what to say.
box_build3.jpg

I can assure for two 15 inch type r's you will not need a box bigger than mine. You should be fine.
Also I looked up the dimensions and internal volume. You need 2.9 cu. ft. max per sub for a vented box. I have 6. Soo you really have nothing to worry about. Put the battery between the box and the rear seat.

Here's what I did with my HC2400. The rear seats have a little bit of an angle to them sloping down towards the front meaning from the top of the seats as you reach the bottom you get about 4 more inches. My box was from wheel well to wheel well also. I put the battery between the box and the back seat leaving me with about 6 inches between the hatch and the front of the box.
This picture is with the back seat laid down so you can see the battery.
kinetik.jpg

This is how far I have to the rear hatch with this box. It is 6 cu. ft. If your box is bigger than this then I don't know what to say.
box_build3.jpg

depends how large of a port he gives them

box is 8cubes, 4 per sub, tuned at 33hz. it will have a 35.25" depth. I guess i will probably tear out the little storage area with the net thing in it and build something to hold it in there. either that or its goin under the rear seats heh.

box is 8cubes, 4 per sub, tuned at 33hz. it will have a 35.25" depth. I guess i will probably tear out the little storage area with the net thing in it and build something to hold it in there. either that or its goin under the rear seats heh.

it should fit nicely under the rear seats but you wont be able to fold them. as the bottom lowers as it slides forward.

Make sure its super super secure if you put it behind a side panel like that. If something goes wrong you cant access it.

Also its a little inconvenient for working on the truck. If you need to disconnect the battery then you need to do the front one, take off the whole rear panel to do the rear.

yeah most likely it will go underneath the seat. If i do put it in that side pocket, i will probably make some kind of support/holder for the battery, and not have it hidden. I'll cut out that cargo section on the right (facing in) and just place it there. not sure if theres going to be much to mount to in there tho.

guess those are the best choices eh? once the box is build i guess i will experiment with the room

I installed mine here:

Any questions? LOL...

Oh yeah..that is Polycarbonate in place of the net that WOULD have been there...

Ryan

guess those are the best choices eh? once the box is build i guess i will experiment with the room

if you have the extra room you could make an extension to your box with a sealed chamber inside it for the battery. and have it somewhat accessible just by pulling off one panel

I installed mine here:

Any questions? LOL...

Oh yeah..that is Polycarbonate in place of the net that WOULD have been there...

Ryan

is the a g31 yellow or d34?

Back