Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Body Work & Detailing

Notices

Body Work & Detailing Waxing washing, wheel cleaning and body work. This is the place to discuss those topics.

Interchangeable parts between the Explorer, and the Mountaineer.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
xrobbx03

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Interchangeable parts between the Explorer, and the Mountaineer.

I just bought a 1997 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 v8. I was wondering what parts are interchangeable between the explorers of that generation and the mountaineer for example like tailights, headlights, grilles, that sort of thing.

Thanks,
Robby
xrobbx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the body work section. Body parts are not always so easy to swap. Drivetrain parts are pretty much interchangeable.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Willcall
Elite Explorer
Lubbock, TX

01 XLT, 13 TDI

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Almost all interior parts that do not have the Mercury or Ford logos on them are interchangeable for 95-01s. The doors, liftgate, glass, and windshield are also interchangeable among 95-97s. My 1998 Explorer was basically pieced together from a 1997 Mountaineer.
Willcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
xrobbx03

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
What about headlights and taillight? Also do the grill inserts fit?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobbx03 View Post
What about headlights and taillight? Also do the grill inserts fit?
The '97 Mounty used the same headlights and tailights as the '97 Explorer. The grille shell is slightly different. I know others have put the '97 grille on their Explorers. All bets are off in '98 as the Mounty headlights and grille were much different than the Explorer. Mounty and 4 door Explorers shared tailights until '02.

SCT XC2 w/Henson tunes, Flo Pro catback, EE swaybar & airdam, Morimoto HID projector retrofit (4300K), Bilstein shocks, Powdercoating by Turdle, Amsoil everywhere, other stuff.
Quote:
I didnt even waste my time to read that, nor will I, however I read some of it.
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Craigslist Scams for Dummies, Don't Be a Wannabe.
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Willcall
Elite Explorer
Lubbock, TX

01 XLT, 13 TDI

Vehicle Specs

Well the tailights changed in 98 for the explorer and the mountaineer. They fit in the 95-97 explorers and mountaineers but they stick out because the liftgate is different. And explorer healights 95-01 will fit your mountaineer. The grill insert, though, cannot be taken apart to place the mercury symbol on it. It comes as a whole unit. Celly is right about the 98 grill and headlight changes. Now, you can swap out the front of 98-01 with yours, but its a real pain. You can also do this with the liftgate and the taillights.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
xrobbx03

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcall View Post
Well the tailights changed in 98 for the explorer and the mountaineer. They fit in the 95-97 explorers and mountaineers but they stick out because the liftgate is different. And explorer healights 95-01 will fit your mountaineer. The grill insert, though, cannot be taken apart to place the mercury symbol on it. It comes as a whole unit. Celly is right about the 98 grill and headlight changes. Now, you can swap out the front of 98-01 with yours, but its a real pain. You can also do this with the liftgate and the taillights.
How far would the tail lights stick out?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Willcall
Elite Explorer
Lubbock, TX

01 XLT, 13 TDI

Vehicle Specs

A 95-97 explorers tailights are the same as the mountaineers but the 98-01 tailights slope outward toward the top. They are flush with the bottom of the liftgate so the top of the 98-01s might catch the gate.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
95-97 and 98-01 tails are interchangeable but look like crap if you're dumb enough to do it. I think Joe Dirt has a thread in the archives that shows this.

What I meant when I said the Mounty and Ex share tails in the 2nd gen holds true, taking into account the changes in tail design in 98.
Posted via Mobile Device
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
toypaseo
Flunked daycare
outside shovelling snow

................ 96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ght=tail+light

1992 Toyota Paseo - Tein Super Street coilovers, Whiteline swaybars 22MM(F) 20MM(R), Prothane endlinks & mounts, VVR poly control arm bushings, K&N drop-in, Dynomax Ultraflo, Gibson stainless tip, 14" steelies with 185-60-14 Pirelli Winter Carving Edge (F) Kumho ECSTA HP4 716 (R)
toypaseo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page