Brandon96's Registry - TruckTruck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brandon96's Registry - TruckTruck

Here is my Explorer, 'TruckTruck'.
The truck was bought in late '95 by my father from Universal Ford here in Richmond. Was driven all over by us until '99 when they upgraded to the Expedition. The truck was then sold to my Grandfather to give to his son, My uncle, who used it in high school and college until he bought his Avalanche in '07 when it was given to me. And I in turn did this:

1996 Explorer XLT
-Built 4.0L OHV V6 - Link
-K&N Cold Air Intake System
-Dual 2.5" Flowmasters

Suspension and Drivetrain Mods
-2in. Torsion Twist
-Custom Leaf Springs
-33x12.50 BFGoodrich All-Terrains
-15x8 Crager Soft 8's 4in. Backspace
-4.10 Front and Rear LS Diffs
-Bilstein Shocks

Interior Mods
-LED Dash Conversion
-LED Puddle Lights
-Sony Bluetooth Head Unit
-Kicker speakers all the way around
-Scanguage II
-Truck Bed Cargo Mat

Exterior Mods
-PA-883 3in. Body Lift
-5000K HID headlights
-4300K HID foglights
-LED Reverse Lights
-FireStik2 on Tail Light Mount
-4 Hella FF75's on the roof
-35% Window tint

I will continue to post updates and logging repairs/damages/or work on my truck here:

Thanks for lookin!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The truck looks good :thumbsup:

nice!!

I love how the stock fogs look with HIDs

nice!!

I love how the stock fogs look with HIDs

I will warn you, the glare out of those puppies is absolutely ridiculous. I use them as Daytime Running Lamps mostly. Though they are quite useful if you want to know how white the person's teeth are across the intersection...

LOL, I bet its bad...but I also meant to say in my post, ive never seen a 2nd gen with those fogs, and HIDs in them, I want to get HIDs in mine, as you said mainly for DRL with my parking lights.

What bulbs style did you use? Ive found like 3-4 different "foglight" bulbs online for our years

LOL, I bet its bad...but I also meant to say in my post, ive never seen a 2nd gen with those fogs, and HIDs in them, I want to get HIDs in mine, as you said mainly for DRL with my parking lights.

What bulbs style did you use? Ive found like 3-4 different "foglight" bulbs online for our years

If you have the rectangular ones, the "880" HID bulb fits it perfectly. Go to DDMTuning.com, you have to make an account, which sucks. But I had very reasonably customer service with them. I have the 'Raptor Brand' 35w setup in my fogs. the exact part number is: HIDRAPTOR880-4500K ..I think it was $32 to my door.

DANG thats cheap! Some people might say that you get what you pay for with HIDs, but as long as they light up, im satisfied (For my fogs at least lol)

Have you had any problems with them?

DANG thats cheap! Some people might say that you get what you pay for with HIDs, but as long as they light up, im satisfied (For my fogs at least lol)

Have you had any problems with them?

Since I've had them, I think about 3-4 months. I've had to flick the switch once maybe twice to get one of them to ignite. By the way.. Lifetime warranty, or at least when I bought them.

Looks good man. Keep it in good shape! That thing is clean!

Nice pics. You dont have any from the last snow storm?

3.73 axle ratio and 33s, start saving your pennies so you can regear.

Since I've had them, I think about 3-4 months. I've had to flick the switch once maybe twice to get one of them to ignite. By the way.. Lifetime warranty, or at least when I bought them.

Yea I had mine do that a couple times on my 92, no biggie though:D

Looks good need to lift the back bumper and it will complete your look

Nice pics. You dont have any from the last snow storm?

3.73 axle ratio and 33s, start saving your pennies so you can regear.

Those were taken using my phone at deep run park yesterday and yeah, I feel like a dang slug at intersections.. however I'm enjoying the 22-25MPGs at 50-60mph!! I was looking into that, I just don't know if 4.10s would waste my economical-ness? maybe something in between? no clue..

Here is a video of me burning up Freeman High School's parking lot in about a foot and a half of snow during the storm, I'm in 4x4Lo by the way...

0130001747a.jpg

Last edited:

Very cool- I like the last pic.

TruckTruck... I like it! :)

nice x that looks like in mint mint conditon

Update number 1

Update Numero Uno

I've been fairly busy with TruckTruck, so here's an update fellas.. be ready it's a quick, cellphoned rage of an update!

Bilsteins all around:
bilsteins.jpg

4ft. FireStik on Tail Light Mount: (with new window sticker)
firestick.jpg

K&N Cold Air Intake:
intaker.jpg

Custom Rear Cargo Mat: so I can do this...
How-To: $10 Cargo Mat
rearmat.jpg

LED Dash Conversion:
leddash.jpg

LED Puddle Lights:
puddlelightled.jpg

LED Reverse Lights+ Bumper FIXED!!!:
reverseleds.jpg

Fooled with and adjusted my HIDs:
hidprojection2.jpg

hidprojection.jpg

Respraying the complete underside and giving TruckTruck some 4.10's: IN PROGRESS
xonthelift.jpg

Question, I disconnected and plugged the vacuum actuated system for the old 3.73 LSD, the 4.10 Diff didn't have that system... is that going to throw codes/trip the 4x4 lights?

Nice progress to the truck. And I wouldn't think that it would cause any codes to be thrown, I've messed with the stuff before and haven't had any codes for the 4wd to be thrown.

Nice progress to the truck. And I wouldn't think that it would cause any codes to be thrown, I've messed with the stuff before and haven't had any codes for the 4wd to be thrown.

OKay, very glad to hear that. Though I've never had them before, the blinking 4WD lights of doom sound like they might have driven me insane.

So how are you liking the difference in gearing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So how are you liking the difference in gearing?

Sorry it took awhile.

On the road I've notice no difference in start/stop traffic, no difference in MPG but a huge RPM change, especially on the highway. OffRoad and towing is a whole nother story... WAY less effort to climb and maneuver especially when the wheels are cranked. Towing is a new world as well, a whole lot less effort even when the truck was stock.... and it came with the towing package!! :D

Also.. It did throw 4WD codes when I swapped the front diffs. The truck seems to think about it and takes about 15 or so seconds to lock into 4x4 hi or lo sometimes not at all... I have figured turning off and restarting the truck helps though. :(

Back