Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4.0L
I'm sure this info has been provided before, but nevertheless:

The goodies:
Pioneer FH-P8000BT with a Metra install kit
Expy%20001.png

Expy%20003.png

Soldering the harnesses - note the amp turn on lead (blue) has a 1.5K ohm resistor. Metra advised using this to eliminate turn on "pop". It did an OK job, some "pop" but not distracting.
Expy%20006.png

Expy%20005.png

Untouched
Expy%20007.png

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE YOUR CDS OUT OF THE OLD PLAYER!! Trust me on this one, I've learned the hard way.
Expy%20008.png

With a butter knife, I started at the upper left corner and carefully pried the bezel off:
Expy%20009.png

I then moved to the lower right corner. After this your hands do just fine. The clips are tight though!
Expy%20010.png

After removing the air controls and 4wd harnesses, remove the two 7mm bolts at the base of the radio.
Expy%20013.png

Take radio out and unclip the harnesses and remove antenna.
Expy%20015.png

Now, just hook the new harness in and you're almost done.
Expy%20016.png

Attach to the new headunit. The Metra harness has RCA inputs that will go into the Subwoofer output on the new radio.
Expy%20018.png

Slide in (it's very cramped behind the headunit) and screw in the 7mm bolts.
Expy%20019.png

Attach bezel, and you're done. After soldering, took about 20 minutes.
Expy%20020.png

Expy%20022.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, mine was just as easy, whats up with the resistor on the remote wire? and did you have to use the dash kit? Mine came with one, but the unit fit in factory flush without it.

JT, outstanding!!!

Looks good, mine was just as easy, whats up with the resistor on the remote wire? and did you have to use the dash kit? Mine came with one, but the unit fit in factory flush without it.

Thanks. Yeah, there was another thread on here about using a transistor to eliminate the "pop" you hear out of the sub when the unit powers on. I bought my harness from Metra (same company that outfits Crutchfield with theirs) and they recommended using a resistor. The thinking is that the factory headunit has about 5V going to the amp and the aftermarket units pre amps are much higher.. I think 12V or so.

I did use the dash kit, but it's a fairly low profile kit. Do you have a picture of yours?

thanks a ton for this post. i have been looking into a system and pieced one together last night (to price check and everything) and I'm going to go with this head unit, so it's nice to see it installed in the same truck (basically, i have a 2001 Sport, same dash). :)

I got my HU from J&R and the harness/kit from Amazon... if I recall correctly, it was about $40 cheaper than going through Crutchfield.

kit is around $20 shipped from ebay and wire harness is around $8 shipped on ebay as well. head unit I found on Buy.com for $236 plus $11 shipping

kit is around $20 shipped from ebay and wire harness is around $8 shipped on ebay as well. head unit I found on Buy.com for $236 plus $11 shipping

Nice! I think the difference was the faster shipping... I didn't wanna wait, so I did 2nd or next day for everything..

yeah i feel ya. patience saves money though haha

did u guys buy the adapter to make your steering wheel controls still work?

yeah I bought the PAC SWI-JACK adapter and my steering controls work perfect, first I used the SWI-PS bbecause I started out with a pioneer then switched to Alpine.

Where do you install the regulator? I'd like to eliminate the pop in my Ex as well.

Thanks.

On the amp turn on wire coming from the headunit. 12V side to wire coming from headunit. 5V side to wire going to amp. Middle is connected to ground wire. This is my understanding.. of course, I did not do it this way, so others may have a different setup.

Very nice! Very clean too, I like that headunit, ive seen it around, but never seen it installed, :thumbsup:

On the amp turn on wire coming from the headunit. 12V side to wire coming from headunit. 5V side to wire going to amp. Middle is connected to ground wire. This is my understanding.. of course, I did not do it this way, so others may have a different setup.

Thanks!!

yeah I installed my volt. reg. right at the wire goes in to the amp, the prongs facing you on the voltage reg. the left one is input, middle is ground and right is output.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going to eliminate that POP. Sounds like its gonna blow the sub!!! :D

Back