Please help me out. My hubs won't lock in 4 wheel drive. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help me out. My hubs won't lock in 4 wheel drive.

LUG NUT

Reaction score
City, State
GEORGETOWN SC.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4X4 FORD RANGER XLT
1999 ranger xlt 4x4 super cab.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How is it possible for the axles to be spinning but the hubs not to? Are you sure you're not talking about the driveshafts? If the axles were spinning, the CV halfshafts would have to be broken....

Got your PM...

Are you referring to the driveshafts that run between the transfer case and the front and rear axles, or the CV halfshafts that run from the front axle to the front wheels? If the axle shafts are turning, but the wheels are not, there is something wrong in one or both of the front CV halfshafts. They are solidly splined to the front wheels just like on a front wheel drive car. Does that help?

gijoecam: We need to notice here that LugNut has a Ranger, not an Explorer (not specified in post, just in profile). I'm not at all familiar with the set-up, but I understand that Ford used a PVH (pulse-vacuum hub??) hub on the Rangers that they didn't use on Explorers. I've heard that the PVH system is prone, but I don't know how it works or how to troubleshoot it (or even for sure if it applies to his '99 Ranger).

1999 ford ranger xlt 4x4 super cab.

Sorry about that Mr shorty, Im new to this site and 4x4 in general. Okay when I turn the nob inside the truck to 4x4 high or low with it in nuetral I hear the transfer case engaging. Now I shift to drive let roll and hit brakes. With the brakes on engine running 4x4 turned on. The front axle shafts to the hub are spinning but hub is not locking. I just had some new Buckshots installed only to find out driver side hub assembly, passenger side inner tie rod, and brakes were bad. I did this for 200 when they quoted me about 850 parts and labor. :)Now when rerouting the new wire that came with hub assembly I noticed that the vacuum line was weatherd and cracked so I put new hose from wheel or hub to a plastic fitting ON BOTH SIDES. I'm not sure where these vacuum lines hook up under the hood. If anyone has a diagram of 4x4 vacuum lines and a step by step how to change to manual hubs, It would be greatly appreciated. Ive looked through the forums and been schooled a little. Im pretty sure my 99 ranger has the pulse vacuum. Thanks alot, Craig.

Quikfix For PVH 4X4 SYSTEM.

Thanks to everyone on this site for all the info. I could not find the culprit in the PVH system on my 99 ranger.#1- I simply took to small screwdrivers took my factory caps that cover the lugnuts off.#2- With the same screwdrivers took the end cap off the lockouts by pressing inward and twisting the cap counter clockwise, you can look closely and see where the slot needs to be by the way. #3- Poke the screen out and the and the screen backing "cross piece" I scored it with a knife and then took the pliers to it and grinded the stuby places down.#4- Put end cap back on press and twist with screwdrivers clockwise to lock back in place. #5- Using thumb press in all the way to lock hubs and half way to unlock.#6-Put factory caps back over lugs for looks. This should be like manual hubs but using thumb instead. But you do not have a screen now to filter trash getting into your hub now!!!!

Back