Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

Please help me out. My hubs won't lock in 4 wheel drive.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
LUG NUT
GEORGETOWN SC.
1999 4X4 FORD RANGER XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Exclamation Please help me out. My hubs won't lock in 4 wheel drive.

1999 ranger xlt 4x4 super cab.

Last edited by LUG NUT; 03-04-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: correction
LUG NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions & transfer cases section.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How is it possible for the axles to be spinning but the hubs not to? Are you sure you're not talking about the driveshafts? If the axles were spinning, the CV halfshafts would have to be broken....

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Got your PM...

Are you referring to the driveshafts that run between the transfer case and the front and rear axles, or the CV halfshafts that run from the front axle to the front wheels? If the axle shafts are turning, but the wheels are not, there is something wrong in one or both of the front CV halfshafts. They are solidly splined to the front wheels just like on a front wheel drive car. Does that help?

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
MrShorty
Spanish Fork, UT
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
gijoecam: We need to notice here that LugNut has a Ranger, not an Explorer (not specified in post, just in profile). I'm not at all familiar with the set-up, but I understand that Ford used a PVH (pulse-vacuum hub??) hub on the Rangers that they didn't use on Explorers. I've heard that the PVH system is prone, but I don't know how it works or how to troubleshoot it (or even for sure if it applies to his '99 Ranger).

'98 Chev K1500 Suburban SLT 4x4
MrShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
because of the ranger vacuum hub differences, I have moved the thread to the ranger sub forum.
Turdle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
LUG NUT
GEORGETOWN SC.
1999 4X4 FORD RANGER XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
1999 ford ranger xlt 4x4 super cab.

Sorry about that Mr shorty, Im new to this site and 4x4 in general. Okay when I turn the nob inside the truck to 4x4 high or low with it in nuetral I hear the transfer case engaging. Now I shift to drive let roll and hit brakes. With the brakes on engine running 4x4 turned on. The front axle shafts to the hub are spinning but hub is not locking. I just had some new Buckshots installed only to find out driver side hub assembly, passenger side inner tie rod, and brakes were bad. I did this for 200 when they quoted me about 850 parts and labor. Now when rerouting the new wire that came with hub assembly I noticed that the vacuum line was weatherd and cracked so I put new hose from wheel or hub to a plastic fitting ON BOTH SIDES. I'm not sure where these vacuum lines hook up under the hood. If anyone has a diagram of 4x4 vacuum lines and a step by step how to change to manual hubs, It would be greatly appreciated. Ive looked through the forums and been schooled a little. Im pretty sure my 99 ranger has the pulse vacuum. Thanks alot, Craig.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
Tbars4
Offroad/Fitness Moderator
anaheim hills,california

95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
...This thread should answer some questions...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...&highlight=avm

How to: Wheels,Tires, & Lifts...
Buy Explorerforum.com Items here
Tbars4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:36 AM   #9
LUG NUT
GEORGETOWN SC.
1999 4X4 FORD RANGER XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Wink Quikfix For PVH 4X4 SYSTEM.

Thanks to everyone on this site for all the info. I could not find the culprit in the PVH system on my 99 ranger.#1- I simply took to small screwdrivers took my factory caps that cover the lugnuts off.#2- With the same screwdrivers took the end cap off the lockouts by pressing inward and twisting the cap counter clockwise, you can look closely and see where the slot needs to be by the way. #3- Poke the screen out and the and the screen backing "cross piece" I scored it with a knife and then took the pliers to it and grinded the stuby places down.#4- Put end cap back on press and twist with screwdrivers clockwise to lock back in place. #5- Using thumb press in all the way to lock hubs and half way to unlock.#6-Put factory caps back over lugs for looks. This should be like manual hubs but using thumb instead. But you do not have a screen now to filter trash getting into your hub now!!!!

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page