How do I Remove the Solenoid Wiring Harness in a 5R55E? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I Remove the Solenoid Wiring Harness in a 5R55E?

BobK

Reaction score
City, State
Central CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I'd like to do a continuity check on the solenoid wiring harness in my 5R55E. Everything is apart and all solenoid connectors are disconnected. I have the harness plug disconnected on the outside of the valve body. How does the harness come out on the inside of the valve body?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to release the locking tab. It's pressed in with an O ring seal. http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/4R44E_4R55E_5R55E_internal_wire_harness_p/230-00023400a.htm
230-00023400A-2.jpg

Thank you. I thought the connector separated into two parts at the valve body wall. Now that you show me this picture, I'm not sure I could trace the wires to do a continuity check without having a pin out schematic.

Any chance you could help with that, too?

I discovered that there's also a push tab on top of the connector that must be pushed in before the connector can be pulled down through the hole.

So if I'm thinking straight, I have to remove the silver c-clip on the outside portion of the connector and depress the locking tab. After removing both, I was able to pull the connector downward and out of the valve body.

One more question:
I have a white wire and red wire coming off of the main plug that goes up into the valve body right next to the connector. It almost appears to be glued up inside of the valve body. How do I disconnect it?

(I'm doing this work with everything still installed in the vehicle.)

Here's a picture of the wires I'm referring to.

img3683h.jpg

How do I detach this sucker?

That connector is for the TSS, the plug just pulls straight down (down when the harness is installed in the case).

O.k. I get it. The line is actually plugged into the back of the connector inside the valve body.

img3685e.jpg

img3686r.jpg

Thanks guys.

I'd like to do a continuity check on the solenoid wiring harness in my 5R55E. Everything is apart and all solenoid connectors are disconnected. I have the harness plug disconnected on the outside of the valve body. How does the harness come out on the inside of the valve body?
anyone have any tricks for unplugging the plug???

Back