Transmission Solenoid wiring harness removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Solenoid wiring harness removal

howdy1954

Reaction score
City, State
kingsport tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've got a 95 explorer 4wd with the 4 speed automatic transmission (4R44E). I've been working under it off and on for the last 2 weeks. In the process of installing a rebuuilt vavle body I noticed the wire harness to the solenoids had several bad place where the insulataion was gone from the wires. I've ordered a used harness online but I cannot get the old one out. I've searched high and low but the only reference I can find regarding the wire clip that holds the harness to the transmission housing is not much help. It says "remove" but I just can't see any way to get to it while the tranny is still in the car. It can only be seen with a mirror. Is there some trick or special too for removing that clip? It was hard enough to flip the hinged clasp to unplug the harness from the car harness. As hard as it looks to get it out I also cannot imagine how in the world I could ever reinstall the clip. I assume this clip was installed on the assembly line before the drive train was droppen in but there must be a way to replace the solenoid wire harness. My hands are just too big and my sense of touch is too bad for me to finesse it out.

Back