98 Explorer XLT - spare tire release. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer XLT - spare tire release.

NSExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Halifax, NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
I acquired a 98 Explorer a year ago. I tried lowering the spare the tire with tire jacket rod in the hole. Nothing happened after about 20 rotations of the tire jack rod. It looks like the original Firestone tire is still in place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wait are you using the actual tire iron or the two long rods that you hook together, usually behing the back panel on the back seat(at least that swere they are on my 99 xlt)? If your using the two rods, make sure the end with the hook is going into the hole, and the square side on the tire iron. Sounds simple, but after i crashed my truck, i had to drive on a blown tire cause after 20 minutes my spare wouldnt come down... Had the rod in the wrong way... Next morning, put the hook side into the hole and it came right down

you have to turn the rod a little so it locks into place. if that still doesnt work, go underneath the truck and do it manually with a long flathead. it will take about 15 min. but it will come down. i had the same problem with my 98

NS Explorer - spare tire release

Thanks guys. I'm using the two piece tire jack rod from behind the rear seat. I'll give it a try again.

If that doesn't work more than likely the spare tire winch has seized up.. Only way to get the tire down is to cut the wire and replae the winch.. (its held on by 4 bolts/screws)

i say pb spray it and try again cuz if its spinning its not siezed so somethings goin wrong

I am going to run out to my explorer, check behind the back seat, if my winder is there I am going to kick myself real hard. Then the wife might have a turn.

Don't make the same mistake

Just don't make the same mistake I did. About 3 weeks ago I had gotten a flat tire. I managed to get the spare down with relative ease, and change the tire. In my haste because of the time loss, I had wound up the tire winch quickly without any weight on it, and now the winch is all bound up and ruined. Now I have to try and get one through a junk yard.

Back