Piece to lower spare tire in 98 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Piece to lower spare tire in 98 Explorer

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Hello,

I lost the small 2" piece that goes in the end of the jack rod to lower the spare tire.

You put the small piece in the end of a bar, then insert it in the small hole underneath the rear license plate, and turn it to lower the spare.

Anybody know where I can get a replacement?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may not be able to get the tiny piece alone and have to buy a whole complete rod. Try a junkyard or e-bay.

I will bet a donut the 2" piece is inside the winch. Happened to me.
It is not supposed to slip out of the rod. When it does it remains inside the winch tube.

look closer-once you get it out have it welded to the rod.

I will bet a donut the 2" piece is inside the winch. Happened to me.
It is not supposed to slip out of the rod. When it does it remains inside the winch tube.

look closer-once you get it out have it welded to the rod.

Nah, the piece kept falling out and I had to keep putting it back in the rod. One day it fell out and I couldn't find it, have been without for a few months now.

Really need to find a replacement piece so I can lower my spare and work on my rear end diff.

It can't be that rare of a piece given the amount of Explorer's, Rangers and E Series vans that share the same part, not to mention their Merc and Lincoln cousins. Try a auto recycling center, aka junk yard. You could also try a piece of Uni-Strut or other dimensional metal piece that would span the opening yet allow you to slip it through the hub.

use a 3/8ths inch extension thats how i lowered mine

I went to the local junkyard and found one like new for $10.

Thanks for the input guys

Back