Hellwig Helper Springs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hellwig Helper Springs

Anyone have any experience with these or similar helper springs?

The back end of my truck squats when I have the boat attached. I thought about airbags, but the trailer is not that heavy - I think airbags would be overkill.

here is my ranger towing my boat:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213737&page=7

how big is yours?
how bad is your sag? do you have much rake when the truck is unloaded?
if it sits flat unloaded then the helper springs set to activate with any sag, then that would be the best bet.
if you have rake, then i would either set up helpers, or timbrens to activate when it sits about flat.
my truck sits nicely with nothing helping it out with the boat, but when i have a load of metal or something for work it sags, and im considering setting up something to assist right about when it hits zero rake.

anyway, ive never driven a vehicle with helper springs, but ive heard good things about them.
at work we generally recommend timbrens, just because they last forever, zero maintenance, and they can be set up so that it rides nicely unloaded, and then with a heavy load they help alot. my boss has them for his camper, and they are pretty great.
good luck!

I have a 96 XLT V8 and have been towing a 26ft travel trailer weighing 5800lbs for 12 years. I had a lot of rear sag. The second gens rear springs were made softer than my old 94 XLT. I had to add the Hellwig helpers made for the Ex. I got them at Whitney a long time ago. I also had to add EZ Lift air bags to level things. I have been in the Smokies and only had a problem one time going up a 7% grade. Had to use 2nd gear all the way up. In Florida, it is really a good setup. Also use the Teknosha brake controller and Reese Class IV hitch.

Hellwig is adjustable. I loosen them up a bit when not towing for a less harsh ride.

I use a weight distrubiting hitch on my 99 Exploder that I use primarily with a 21' travel trailer(4500#). It takes a little bit more to set up but I think it is worth the benifit. I like the Timbrens may be worth the effort to put them on the ranger I will be getting in the next couple months.

(camper has tandam axles w/electric brakes and Prodige controler also friction sway control)

Back