Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Starter replacement on a '95 Explorer XLT.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
RobCap1212
Cape Cod Mass
1995 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Dk Exp Starter replacement on a '95 Explorer XLT.

Hi out there...I have a '95 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0 Liter, 6 Cylinder, 4WD, 4 Door, Automatic and I am going to change the starter. Never have done this before on my truck but I consider myself mechanical. I'm sick of paying the "shops" who over price there labor and mark-up parts. Was wondering if anyone out there has replaced a starter and any tips...Thanks =)
RobCap1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
1ATony
EF Vendor +
mass

92 explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
HI Rob,

I haven't done one on an Explorer but for starters disconnect the battery before you begin. If you use a floor jack support the vehicle with jack stands too,just in case the hydralic jack gives way.

Usually there or only a couple of bolts that hold them in and sometimes some shims,disconnect the wiring on the starter also.

If you have some shims between the starter and the tranny put them back onto the new starter so that the spacing is correct.

No sure if there are any tricks with this application but these are the basics.

Tony

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
RobCap1212
Cape Cod Mass
1995 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thank you Tony. Already have the battery disconnected and removed from truck. Great reminder about the shims =) About to change this out now...will respond back on how it turned out.

Rob
Old 08-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 95-01 section. Check the teeth on the flexplate while the starter is removed. Did you buy a new, rebuilt, remanufactured or used starter?
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
RobCap1212
Cape Cod Mass
1995 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I ended up going with a rebuilt starter, also picked up a starter relay switch for piece of mind. The truck is ready to be worked on first thing tomorrow. I will give an update later tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
gmanpaint
Torsion Bar Free
since 2010

94 XLT-95 FX4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Starter is a royal PITA..lol

There is only one wire from the battery held on with a 13mm nut. There is one small wire that is slid on a tab connected to the solenoid as well. The 13mm bolt is a long one that is installed into the trans bell housing. This can be reached from the front with a series of extensions (2-12", 1-6") leading in from the radiator, under the engine mounts. Once that bolt is out, you can either remove the 2 small bolts holding the wire hangers, or just reach in from the wheel well to go after the battery cable nut.

Very tight spaces and expect to cuss a few times

Oh, it might be a good idea to clean the area with some engine de-greaser before you do this. This will aid in being able to see/feel the nut & bolt head, but also give you some grip while handling the starter.

The Black Hole

Pugly
gmanpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
RobCap1212
Cape Cod Mass
1995 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Hey Gmanpaint...thanks for the tips...already sprayed WD-40 on the two bolts that hold the starter on and also the wire. I also have all types of extensions and sockets. I am going to start with the top bolt that is the hardest to get at. With all the extensions and angle sockets hopefully I can take off the bolt. Plan B would be if I get too frustrated, I can call a mechanic who does side jobs for $50...the local shop wants $100...it's a no brainer...
Old 08-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
RobCap1212
Cape Cod Mass
1995 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Finally Replaced My Starter

Just an update on my starter replacement...I had everything prepared to change out the starter, the front end of the truck jacked up and supported with blocks on the rear tires, also the emergency break on. The battery disconnected and removed out of the way...the 2 starter bolts from the "old" starter where sprayed with WD-40 the night before. Went to "attempt" this project and just wanted to see how "easy" the bottom bolt of the starter would go, tried a number of sockets and such but couldn't get a good tight grip on the nut...tried a few times but saw that if I continued I would strip the nut. Decided to call the mechanic up the street who said he would do it for $100. Brought it there, thinking he could do this in less than an hour but was also having trouble with the bottom nut since i "slightly" rounded off the edges He then told me it will be a little while and I got a ride back home...He also said that the nut was in bad shape and he would need some time getting off the nuts. So I was fine with that...Called him back 2 hours later and he was just putting on the new starter. He said he had a heck of a time getting the top nut off because he had to use a number of different angle sockets and extensions to reach the top bolt. But in the end, he did and replaced my starter and new nuts and bolts all for $100...
Old 08-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Thanks for the update!
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
RobCap1212
Cape Cod Mass
1995 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Not a problem...I am going to be doing more improvements on my Explorer so I will post when the time comes.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
RobCap1212
Cape Cod Mass
1995 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Any suggestions to upgrade my '95 Explorer are welcomed

I have a few improvements/modifications I would like to do with my Explorer. Any other suggestions are much appreciated. I have a '95 Ford Explorer XLT with a 4.0 Liter, 4WD, 4 Door, Automatic, 6 Cylinder, power windows/locks/seats with lumbar, no moon roof with 144,400 miles on it. It's in excellent shape and have decided a long time ago that I would have this truck forever. Has been in the family since day 1. Always babied, never off road. Reese trailer hitch also on it. Ok, so here are some ideas I would like to do to the truck. For starters, I would like to upgrade the shocks, struts, tie-rods, center link, brakes, rotors, pads, calipers, drums, also the suspension, new complete exhaust...basically make this truck sound. Also thinking of putting a lift kit on it...2" maybe 4" ... I don't want to "pimp" out my Explorer but want a nice ride. Any suggestions on ideas people out there may have will be much appreciated...any prices or websites to check out...things like that. Have a few pictures of my Explorer..I will see if I can post them later. Thank you again...have a great day!

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page