Starter replacement on a '95 Explorer XLT. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter replacement on a '95 Explorer XLT.

RobCap1212

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Cod Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi out there...I have a '95 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0 Liter, 6 Cylinder, 4WD, 4 Door, Automatic and I am going to change the starter. Never have done this before on my truck but I consider myself mechanical. I'm sick of paying the "shops" who over price there labor and mark-up parts. Was wondering if anyone out there has replaced a starter and any tips...Thanks =)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HI Rob,

I haven't done one on an Explorer but for starters disconnect the battery before you begin. If you use a floor jack support the vehicle with jack stands too,just in case the hydralic jack gives way.

Usually there or only a couple of bolts that hold them in and sometimes some shims,disconnect the wiring on the starter also.

If you have some shims between the starter and the tranny put them back onto the new starter so that the spacing is correct.

No sure if there are any tricks with this application but these are the basics.

Tony;)

Thank you Tony. Already have the battery disconnected and removed from truck. Great reminder about the shims =) About to change this out now...will respond back on how it turned out.

Rob

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 95-01 section. Check the teeth on the flexplate while the starter is removed. Did you buy a new, rebuilt, remanufactured or used starter?

I ended up going with a rebuilt starter, also picked up a starter relay switch for piece of mind. The truck is ready to be worked on first thing tomorrow. I will give an update later tomorrow.

Starter is a royal PITA..lol

There is only one wire from the battery held on with a 13mm nut. There is one small wire that is slid on a tab connected to the solenoid as well. The 13mm bolt is a long one that is installed into the trans bell housing. This can be reached from the front with a series of extensions (2-12", 1-6") leading in from the radiator, under the engine mounts. Once that bolt is out, you can either remove the 2 small bolts holding the wire hangers, or just reach in from the wheel well to go after the battery cable nut.

Very tight spaces and expect to cuss a few times :)

Oh, it might be a good idea to clean the area with some engine de-greaser before you do this. This will aid in being able to see/feel the nut & bolt head, but also give you some grip while handling the starter.

Hey Gmanpaint...thanks for the tips...already sprayed WD-40 on the two bolts that hold the starter on and also the wire. I also have all types of extensions and sockets. I am going to start with the top bolt that is the hardest to get at. With all the extensions and angle sockets hopefully I can take off the bolt. Plan B would be if I get too frustrated, I can call a mechanic who does side jobs for $50...the local shop wants $100...it's a no brainer...

Finally Replaced My Starter

Just an update on my starter replacement...I had everything prepared to change out the starter, the front end of the truck jacked up and supported with blocks on the rear tires, also the emergency break on. The battery disconnected and removed out of the way...the 2 starter bolts from the "old" starter where sprayed with WD-40 the night before. Went to "attempt" this project and just wanted to see how "easy" the bottom bolt of the starter would go, tried a number of sockets and such but couldn't get a good tight grip on the nut...tried a few times but saw that if I continued I would strip the nut. Decided to call the mechanic up the street who said he would do it for $100. Brought it there, thinking he could do this in less than an hour but was also having trouble with the bottom nut since i "slightly" rounded off the edges :( He then told me it will be a little while and I got a ride back home...He also said that the nut was in bad shape and he would need some time getting off the nuts. So I was fine with that...Called him back 2 hours later and he was just putting on the new starter. He said he had a heck of a time getting the top nut off because he had to use a number of different angle sockets and extensions to reach the top bolt. But in the end, he did and replaced my starter and new nuts and bolts all for $100...

Not a problem...I am going to be doing more improvements on my Explorer so I will post when the time comes.

Any suggestions to upgrade my '95 Explorer are welcomed

I have a few improvements/modifications I would like to do with my Explorer. Any other suggestions are much appreciated. I have a '95 Ford Explorer XLT with a 4.0 Liter, 4WD, 4 Door, Automatic, 6 Cylinder, power windows/locks/seats with lumbar, no moon roof with 144,400 miles on it. It's in excellent shape and have decided a long time ago that I would have this truck forever. Has been in the family since day 1. Always babied, never off road. Reese trailer hitch also on it. Ok, so here are some ideas I would like to do to the truck. For starters, I would like to upgrade the shocks, struts, tie-rods, center link, brakes, rotors, pads, calipers, drums, also the suspension, new complete exhaust...basically make this truck sound. Also thinking of putting a lift kit on it...2" maybe 4" ... I don't want to "pimp" out my Explorer but want a nice ride. Any suggestions on ideas people out there may have will be much appreciated...any prices or websites to check out...things like that. Have a few pictures of my Explorer..I will see if I can post them later. Thank you again...have a great day!

Back