2001 Sport 4x4 is not engaging 4WD. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport 4x4 is not engaging 4WD.

dva6377

Reaction score
City, State
Provo, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey all first time posting to the forums.

I have a 2001 sport that will not engage in 4x4. When I first start her up the 4x4 high and 4x4 low lights do not light up for one. Then when I do as the manual says to engage 4x4, I never hear the clicking from the passenger side like you're supposed to and the dashboard lights never come on. I've checked the fuses and checked the control module to see if any wires or connections had come undone, but they all checked out ok. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you disconnect the module and reconnect it? Corrosion on the connector terminals cause similar problems to this. Do it 2 or 3 times and see if it changes anything.

I disconnected it once but I will try it a couple more times thanks.

Semi dead thread I know, but where is the module at? Is this the one I hear about that is some where under the passenger side dash?

I am having the same issues, no 4x4 lights when I turn the ignition key, won't engage, don't hear the clicks.

its behind the glove compartment, when there are no lights on startup it usually means module is dead, had to replace mine for 160 from silver state ford

Back