Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Best method to replace spark plugs on 98 Mercury Mountaineer V8 5.0??

Old 11-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
mikey4040
New England
98 Mountaineer V8 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Best method to replace spark plugs on 98 Mercury Mountaineer V8 5.0??

I want to attempt this this week. I've read many different threads of different ways on doing this job. Some people jack up the front and remove the tires and rubber splash guards. Some people pop the hood and do it right inside the engine and others do it from the wheel area without removing the tires or opening the hood. So my question is what's the easiest way to do it without the need of a swivel attachment cause i don't have one the only tool i don't have to do this job. Also can you use those basic Autolite Copper 764 Spark Plugs on this truck? I don't use this truck that much i drive my Lexus more often but the winter is coming so I'll be using it now for the next few months Thanks..

Last edited by mikey4040; 11-27-2010 at 08:40 PM.
mikey4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
swetrid
Reading Pa
2001 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I always do them from the wheelwell area, you can probably get away with no swivels also depending on length of extensions used.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
SoNic67
Newport News, VA
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Wheelwell area. Take the wheels down, makes it easyer and is not hard to do. Swivell and extension will help.
Do NOT use copper or even single platinum plugs, like the 764 or AP764, you need at least dual platinum APP104 or better the iridium/platinum XP104.
SoNic67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Dan Whitaker
One fast putty tat
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)

No Mounty no more.

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
Do NOT use copper or even single platinum plugs, like the 764 or AP764, you need at least dual platinum APP104 or better the iridium/platinum XP104.
BS! There is not a thing wrong with running a copper plug in a 5.0. All I run is copper in my 97 Mountaineer and I have NEVER had a PROBLEM.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Copper is just fine, actually better than the platinum plugs. The only problem with the copper plugs is they don't last as long.
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
OneLever
97 Mt. 5.0L AWD

Vehicle Specs

Stay away from Bosch plugs and wires. Never hear anything but bad news about them on these forums. Autolite and Motorcraft have good reviews on here usually.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
mikey4040
New England
98 Mountaineer V8 5.0

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Alright thanks for the replies so jacking up the front and removing the tires and splash guards is the best bet it looks like. I'll just use those copper Autolite as long as they last at least 25,000 miles I'll be happy. The truck has 143,000 right now and i don't expect to have it much longer than another 25,000. I have 3" and 6" extensions and the 5/8 plug socket with a 3/8 ratchet and a 3/8 breaker bar if needed. I should be able to get the job done with the following you think?
mikey4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

these v8's are good for 200k miles plus with basic maintenance
Old 11-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Whitaker View Post
BS! There is not a thing wrong with running a copper plug in a 5.0.
Precisely.

Plats just last longer. Nothing more.
Posted via Mobile Device
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #10
97 EB Mike
Ohio
97 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

I used a swivel to get to mine from the wheel well area. They're not too expensive, and not a bad tool to have in your box for future use too. I didn't have to pick the truck up at all, let alone remove a wheel, but I'm also running a 2" TT which helped with clearance. I also had some insulator sleeves surrounding the plug. They basically look like an overgrown roll pin. They just pull out, but mine being an Ohio truck, it took some fairly serious pulling to get a couple of them out. Vice grips did the trick, but I cracked the porcelain on the plug in the process. I don't know if the 98s have the same sleeve or not. They're not a big deal, just a little time consuming and something to be aware of.

97 EB Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #11
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 EB Mike View Post
I used a swivel to get to mine from the wheel well area. They're not too expensive, and not a bad tool to have in your box for future use too. I didn't have to pick the truck up at all, let alone remove a wheel, but I'm also running a 2" TT which helped with clearance. I also had some insulator sleeves surrounding the plug. They basically look like an overgrown roll pin. They just pull out, but mine being an Ohio truck, it took some fairly serious pulling to get a couple of them out. Vice grips did the trick, but I cracked the porcelain on the plug in the process. I don't know if the 98s have the same sleeve or not. They're not a big deal, just a little time consuming and something to be aware of.
I can change mine on my lowered 2" mountaineer with 30" tires, but for a first timer it will be nice to have the extra room so they can see what they are doing.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
JOHN223
NY
'98 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Howdy! Just replaced plugs on my 98 5.0 ex. Did not even have to jack up the car, just removed the splash guards. Make sure you have the correct size plug socket. A short and a long extension and a u joint help. I tightened the new ones by hand without the wrench for fear of cross threading, then gave a final tightening with the wrench. Do one at a time. I used the auto lite double platinum - they have a rebate until the end of the month on them check their website. I believe the gap is 0.54". thought the truck is 12 years old, it has only 64k miles on it. Made a noticeable difference. Good luck!
JOHN223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
Hartman
Elite Explorer
Indianapolis, IN

1996 5.0

Vehicle Specs

The most pain-free method is to remove the front tires and go thru the wheel well. Unlike the SOHC or OHV, all the plugs are right there ready to be removed. Let me say that using a swivel extension makes things that much easier....it's a good investment and you'll find yourself using it on a lot of other things as well.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #14
OneLever
97 Mt. 5.0L AWD

Vehicle Specs

I second taking off the plastic well wheel covers and splash guards. They're held in place by maybe six screws and after they're off you can access anything. I had a hard time getting 0.54" spark plug adjusters except for the little continuous circle kind. The wire gauges work better but they don't carry them in that size around here.

What kind of anti-seize do you guys use on the plugs? The copper based Napa stuff or regular silver colored Permatex?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm a horrible mechanic, but I find the plug change on the 5.0 to be simple. I just remove the soft spash shield and leave the wheels on. The plugs are pretty much right in front of you. I use a standard plug socket and make good use of some long wobble extensions I scored from the parts place in the US when I was there last summer.

Dead simple.

Thanks Eric (Techie) for showing me how easy it was just before we left Humboldt for Topeka. While removing the hard plastic wheel well liners would make it easier, it looks like a hassle getting those back in so why bother when you don't have to? Same with the wheels.

SCT XC2 w/Henson tunes, Flo Pro catback, EE swaybar & airdam, Morimoto HID projector retrofit (4300K), Bilstein shocks, Powdercoating by Turdle, Amsoil everywhere, other stuff.
Quote:
I didnt even waste my time to read that, nor will I, however I read some of it.
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Craigslist Scams for Dummies, Don't Be a Wannabe.
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

If you remove the rubber splash guards, that will be enough to get in there.

Hint: Change the plugs and the corresponding wire one at a time. It'll save the hassle of worrying about firing order on the coil.

This was my '97 for hints:

(And what came out to put in my Motorcraft Plats...)

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page