• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plugs

4DoorFord

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
Let me start by saying I know how to use the search feature and have read a few threads regarding this, but I'm still choosing to ask for the current opinion of anyone willing to respond. Which spark plugs and wires do you recommend for the 5.0? I've seen a few people swear by Autolites and most by Motorcraft. Is there really much of a difference between the two? I believe there are copper, platinum, double platinum, and iridium options. Which is best? Any to avoid? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me start by saying I know how to use the search feature and have read a few threads regarding this, but I'm still choosing to ask for the current opinion of anyone willing to respond. Which spark plugs and wires do you recommend for the 5.0? I've seen a few people swear by Autolites and most by Motorcraft. Is there really much of a difference between the two? I believe there are copper, platinum, double platinum, and iridium options. Which is best? Any to avoid? Thanks in advance.

avoid Bosch plugs. Motorcraft or Autolite plugs are preferred (both made by the same company), Motorcraft if available. Platinum okay, Double Platinum better, Iridium fine-wire best (i use Autolite Double Platinum in my trucks). For wires, you can't go wrong with Motorcraft.

the reason that Motorcraft plugs are slightly better is that they have an anti rust coating (nickle?) where the Autolites do not. it's not really important where i live.

You should go to a Ford dealer with your VIN and get some. Not worth discussing further.

My opinion: Iridium plugs,avoid Bosch.
I don't have a wire opinion. I know NGK makes wires but I haven"t used them.

i went to advance auto parts pick up autolite spark plugs and Motorcraft Double Platinum
best 116.00 i spent my 1998 ford explorer 5.0 my truck run like a brand new truck i have to thank koda2000 and a couple of other people on this forum for helping me out
p.s make sure you use anti seize threads

Thanks everyone for your input. I forgot I posted this until now. I'll let you know what I went with and if I feel a difference afterwards.

Back