Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.


Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Battery Change/Reset Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
bilkyb
Spicer, MN
'02 XLT V8
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Battery Change/Reset Questions

Hi all. My wifes explorer has been exhibiting the problems with 4x4 that most people have with the shift control module. When reading varoius posts I have seen some say that issues with voltage may be part of or a contributing cause of this. We have just over 94K miles on the original battery and expect that it is getting weak as we have had some slow starting when it is very cold. I put a charger on it a few times over the last two days and it charges and finishes and charges and finishes so I am pretty sure I need to replace the battery without ever testing it or even reading the voltage. My questions:

1. To avoid the problems with the replacing the battery on a high mileage vehicle with the check eng. light, etc., can you put another battery in parallel connected to the battery leads so that you never lose power to the computer?

2. If not, is there a reset procedure? I have seen some posts that say something about leaving one lead disconnected and turning the key on.

3. On another note, I looked at the VIN sticker on the door but was unable to figure out the manufacture date just in case it is the shift control module. How do I tell when it was built and what generation would that make it?

Thanks.
bilkyb is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.


Old 12-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,604

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkyb View Post
Hi all. My wifes explorer has been exhibiting the problems with 4x4 that most people have with the shift control module. When reading varoius posts I have seen some say that issues with voltage may be part of or a contributing cause of this. We have just over 94K miles on the original battery and expect that it is getting weak as we have had some slow starting when it is very cold. I put a charger on it a few times over the last two days and it charges and finishes and charges and finishes so I am pretty sure I need to replace the battery without ever testing it or even reading the voltage. My questions:

1. To avoid the problems with the replacing the battery on a high mileage vehicle with the check eng. light, etc., can you put another battery in parallel connected to the battery leads so that you never lose power to the computer?

2. If not, is there a reset procedure? I have seen some posts that say something about leaving one lead disconnected and turning the key on.

3. On another note, I looked at the VIN sticker on the door but was unable to figure out the manufacture date just in case it is the shift control module. How do I tell when it was built and what generation would that make it?

Thanks.
Removal and replacement of the battery will NOT result in a "check engine", require any "resetting", or messing around with things as you mention. imp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
OneLever
97 Mt. 5.0L AWD
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 777

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkyb View Post
I am pretty sure I need to replace the battery without ever testing it or even reading the voltage.
Probably with that much mileage yes, but places like Autozone and Advance Auto Parts will test it for you free of charge to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkyb View Post
To avoid the problems with the replacing the battery...
Unless the third generation vehicles are very very different changing a battery should be quick and harmless. I regularly disconnect my battery with nothing in its place while doing maintenance. All of the really important things used by the on board computer are stored in some type of flash memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkyb View Post
can you put another battery in parallel connected to the battery leads so that you never lose power to the computer?
Yes, if you really wanted to...although there is no point. They even make them as adapters you can plug into the OBDII port under the steering wheel.

Quote:
If not, is there a reset procedure?
If you leave the battery disconnected for something like 15 minutes the OBDII codes will reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkyb View Post
was unable to figure out the manufacture date
There should be "Date = XX/XX" on the top left corner of the driver's door jamb sticker. There are online ford sites which will decode your VIN for you.




__________________
There is wisdom to be found in the counsel of many.
OneLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
therealblinky
Red deer Alberta
2002 XLS
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 143

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you change the battery leave it disconnected for a couple minutes, then when you re connect let it idle for 10 min to re learn its air to fuel ratio and junk




__________________
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 SOHC 4X4
265000 KM and still goin!!
Ex Police Truck
Police style Rims
15" MTX Sub
Cracked Rear Panel
therealblinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,604

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealblinky View Post
When you change the battery leave it disconnected for a couple minutes, then when you re connect let it idle for 10 min to re learn its air to fuel ratio and junk
Ford always states it may take awhile to re-learn adaptive strategy, whatever-the-hell that really is, but I have never let 'em sit at all after re-installing or connecting the battery. I have never noticed any change in driveability. Not to worry. imp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
Snowcone
Newcastle, Australia
02 XLT
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 33

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As you have an 02 model Explorer, then the theory for failed 4WD Control Modules points at some sort of surge or spike when the battery is changed.
It has been recommended by many to disconnect the module before disconnecting and changing the battery.
This is a simple procedure of just unplugging the module.
it is located behind the glove compartment door and is screwed onto the heater fan, but you don't need to fully removeit, just unplug it.
After you have changed the battery, plug the module back in and hold your breath for 30 seconds
Snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
kschlege
'02
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 26

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post
As you have an 02 model Explorer, then the theory for failed 4WD Control Modules points at some sort of surge or spike when the battery is changed.
It has been recommended by many to disconnect the module before disconnecting and changing the battery.
This is a simple procedure of just unplugging the module.
it is located behind the glove compartment door and is screwed onto the heater fan, but you don't need to fully removeit, just unplug it.
After you have changed the battery, plug the module back in and hold your breath for 30 seconds
Yeah, I think I killed mine, that's why I'm here looking on the boards. My '02 4x4 won't work anymore.

Some say to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes and then reconnect it and it'll sometimes come back to life. I'll let you know if it works.

* edit * nope, even leaving battery disconnected for 3 hours, still no 4x4. I guess time to buy a new 4x4 CM

** edit ** Had to buy a new CM on ebay. when I first put it in, the 4x4 low light would not go off. ended up having to go forward/backwards about 4 times before I was finally able to get it to turn off

Last edited by kschlege; 01-22-2011 at 09:40 AM.
kschlege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
victorv613
bayshore, ny
2002 ford explorer xlt
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 98

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
from all the posts i read reset procedure is take off battery pos terminal. Turn key to on position and wait ten minutes. then turn key off and and put terminal back on. Hope this helps
victorv613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
JEastonjr
Weymouth,Massachusetts
 
JEastonjr's Avatar
99 Limited
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 19

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you put another battery in parallel to be on the safe side
JEastonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Suggest this thread to friends:



Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!



Search Explorer Forum


Top of Page

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.



US Flag
We Support Our Troops!

Explore the site!


Copyright 2014 - 1996 Rick Horwitz Photography



Ford Motor Company is not involved in the management of this site in any way.



All tips on this site are for use at your own risk and discretion.

Modifying the suspension on any vehicle will cause changes to its handling characteristics.



Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.