• Register Today It's free!

20" and up OEM rims

jerzydevil609

Reaction score
City, State
Currently Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Limited
now i know im not the brightest bulb in the box, but i've been looking and trying to figure out if ford flex wheels will work on our year explorers... i saw one link about backspacing being around 5" when ideally its 4"... what does that mean? will the wheels not fit, or well they just poke out more/less or something?

what other options do i have besides the edge and that sport track adrenaline? what lincoln wheels work? and if they do, do the centercaps swap? thanks everyone for your input!!! i really appreciate the help!!

Back Spacing refers to the amount of distance from the Mounting pad (where the rim touches the hub) to the inboard lip of the rim. Say you had an 8" wide rim with a 4" back space. The Mounting pad would be right on the center line of the rim. Now say you had the same rim with a 5" back space; The mounting pad would be moved an inch towards the outboard lip of the rim, thus bringing the rim in towards the truck, having 5" of rim on the inboard side of the hub, and 3" of it towards the outside. The lower the backspace the further out the rim will stick.

Sometime's it's referred to as 'offset' (in millimeters). Offset is how far the mount pad of the rim is moved either inwards towards the hub (negative) or outwards away from the hub (positive) from the centerline of the rim. A negative offset will stick the rim outwards, positive will pull it in.

You just will need to do some research, make sure whatever rim you get is a 5x4.5 bolts circle, and does NOT have any less backspace, or positive offset as your stock rims as you may rub the tire/rim on the control arms and struts.

129_0602_01_z+wheel_backspacing_offset+diagram.jpg

thanks for the help!! i think i'm understandng, but now im having a hell of a time figureing out what my stock offset really is... i have a 02 explorer limited with the chrome/steel 16x7 wheels. i did my research and i'm finding the range for our explorers are 24-35mm offset, but apparently the wheels on mine are a 47mm???

i tried the calculation with the ford flex (i know i'd have to increase the center bore if i chose these over the edge wheels but here's the specs im going with...

my 02 limited explorer now
wheel size: 16x7
offset: 47mm
tire size: 245/70/16

20" Ford Flex Rims
wheel size: 20x8
offset: 39mm
tire size: 265/45/20 (pulled that out of the air, could use suggestions)

here's the link to the calculator... does this make sense? thanks, and if anyone knows what the offset is, please let me know i really appreciate it

Back