EGR valve replacment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

coolerpooler

Reaction score
City, State
Martinez,Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
Hey i have a 2005 Ford Exlporer 4.0. I've looked at a lot of posts and i know my EGR valve is bad so i have to replace it i already have the part but not sure how to install it. I don't know if i have to take the intake off cuz it doesnt look like much room around where the bolts are located. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well im installing it tomorrow so i guess ill just have to do it and hope i do it right

How do you know its bad? I have not had to replace a egr valve on any ford in years! Let me guess, you have a service engine light on, went to (gasp) auto zone and they told you it had a P400ish code, EGR insufficient flow right? so they then sold you a new egr valve.

Anyway my guess is it has a bad DPFE sensor. oh and BTW I am a master certified mechanic. If you or anyone wants to know the proper way to diagnose this system feel free to ask.

05 doesnt have dpfe sensor, only serviced as whole egr valve.

He's a master mechanic he knew that and i know its bad because a wheni tookit off to look at it there were some issues it would easily allow me to blow through and when i did it looked nasty its filled with debrise and mine has 123k hard miles put on it by me going to school 4 hours away

Hey everyone, I have the same problem with my 2005 explorer. When the car starts up it sometimes dies right there, unless I give it gas. The service engine light is on and the code is P0401 EGR insufficient flow. I took the EGR valve off and cleaned it, though it really wasn't that dirty, and it's still not running ok. The only thing we have recently done to it is put in new spark plugs. If it is the DPFE sensor, isn't it just built into the EGR valve, so I would have to get a whole new valve right?

05 doesnt have dpfe sensor, only serviced as whole egr valve.

Your right, my bad. I was thinking the "other" system. Oh well, that's what happens when you work on cars all day everyday, sometimes you forget what is what.

Hey everyone, I have the same problem with my 2005 explorer. When the car starts up it sometimes dies right there, unless I give it gas. The service engine light is on and the code is P0401 EGR insufficient flow. I took the EGR valve off and cleaned it, though it really wasn't that dirty, and it's still not running ok. The only thing we have recently done to it is put in new spark plugs. If it is the DPFE sensor, isn't it just built into the EGR valve, so I would have to get a whole new valve right?

Did your problem occur about the same time as the spark plug replacement? 100% you did not cross two wires on the sparkplugs? Maybe one is not seated properly on the plug?

The service light was on before I changed the spark plugs. I didn't cross any wires, I did one at a time. However, it did seem to sound worse after I changed them, so i called the ford dealership to ask and they said that I should only use Motorcraft spark plugs (I had put E3's in) so i put the old ones back in and it still stalls. I am going to go buy new spark plugs, but the old ones aren't too bad. Even if it was something with the spark plugs, why would I get a code for the EGR valve? Should I just replace it?

Spilios
You indicated you did have a P0401 code so that is a fact. You could disconnect the battery and reset the system and see how soon the CEL fault comes back if it is still a 0401. Clearly 04 Edge is the authority here, he's probably seen 100s of these. In my case (and forgive me for forgetting the details) I had CEL, fiddled with DPFE, O2 and EGR chasing the code and making it go out. There are 1,000s of opinions on the matter here.

The fact that it ran poorly after the plug replacement is odd. I clearly understand the beneftis of OEM/Motorcraft parts and of COURSE the dealership will tell you to use that but if you bought a reputable brand like Champion for example you should see at least the same performance with new plugs, not worse. There is something else going on here.

sorry I can;t be more helpful, I would double check that all the plug's wires are properly seated and secure. Double check what the gap was supposed to be and I trust you gapped them properly--not even sure how you gap the E3s, never tried them.

Spilios
Yes the DPFE is built in to the egr valve which is why its so dang expensive!

The ESM is an updated DPFE EGR system. It functions in the same manner as the conventional DPFE system, however the various system components have been integrated into a single component called the ESM. The flange of the valve portion of the ESM bolts directly to the intake manifold with a metal gasket that forms the measuring orifice. This arrangement increases system reliability, response time, and system precision. By relocating the EGR orifice from the exhaust to the intake side of the EGR valve, the downstream pressure signal measures manifold absolute pressure (MAP). The system provides the PCM with a differential DPFE signal, identical to a traditional DPFE system.

The delta pressure feedback EGR monitor is comprised of a series of electrical tests and functional tests that monitor various aspects of the EGR system operation.

First, the DPFE sensor input circuit is checked for out of range values (P1400/P0405 P1401/P0406). The EVR output circuit is checked for opens and shorts (P1409/P0403).

NOTE: EGR normally has large amounts of water vapor that are the result of the engine combustion process. During cold ambient temperatures, under some circumstances, water vapor can freeze in the DPFE sensor, hoses, as well as other components in the EGR system. In order to prevent MIL illumination for temporary freezing, the following logic is used.

If an EGR system malfunction is detected below 0°C (32°F) , only the EGR system is disabled for the current driving cycle. A DTC is not stored and the I/M readiness status for the EGR monitor will not change. The EGR monitor will, however, continue to operate. If the EGR monitor determines that the malfunction is no longer present, the EGR system will be enabled and normal system operation will be restored.

If an EGR system malfunction is detected above 0°C (32°F) , the EGR system and the EGR monitor is disabled for the current driving cycle. A DTC is stored and the MIL is illuminated if the malfunction has been detected on 2 consecutive driving cycles.

After the vehicle has warmed up and normal EGR rates are being commanded by the PCM, the low flow check is carried out. Since the EGR system is a closed loop system, the EGR system will deliver the requested EGR flow as long as it has the capability to do so. If the EVR duty cycle is very high (greater than 80% duty cycle), the differential pressure indicated by the DPFE sensor is evaluated to determine the amount of EGR system restriction. If the differential pressure is below a calibrated threshold, a low flow malfunction is indicated (P0401/P0406).

Finally, the differential pressure indicated by the DPFE sensor is also checked at idle with zero requested EGR flow to carry out the high flow check. If the differential pressure exceeds a calibrated limit, it indicates a stuck open EGR valve or debris temporarily lodged under the EGR valve seat (P0402).

If the inferred ambient temperature is less than 0°C (32°F) , or greater than 60°C (140°F), or the altitude is greater than 8,000 feet (BARO less than 22.5 in-Hg ), the EGR monitor cannot be run reliably. In these conditions, a timer starts to accumulate the time in these conditions. If the vehicle leaves these extreme conditions, the timer starts to decrement, and, if conditions permit, will attempt to complete the EGR flow monitor. If the timer reaches 800 seconds , the EGR monitor is disabled for the remainder of the current driving cycle and the EGR Monitor I/M Readiness bit will be set to a ready condition after one such driving cycle. Vehicles will require 2 such driving cycles for the EGR monitor to be set to a ready condition.

This is right from AllData. Seems the MAP sensor is also integrated into this system so I can see a running problem if this part goes bad. I need to study up on this system, just when I thought I knew everything about Fords EGR systems.

Yeahp thats Ford for ya always staying confusing!!!!

So '04 Edge how would you suggest i take my old EGR off? Should i take the intake manifold cuz the bolts are right behind it

this is what ALLDATA says

Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system module electrical and vacuum connectors.
2. Disconnect the EGR system module-to-exhaust manifold tube upper fitting.

o To install, tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft) .

3. NOTE: When installing the new EGR module gasket, install with the side with the raised circle facing the intake manifold.

Remove the bolts, the EGR system module and the gasket. Discard the gasket.

* To install, tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft) .

4. NOTE: The EGR system module sealing surfaces are soft metals.

Carefully clean the EGR system module sealing surfaces.

5. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

o Install a new EGR system module gasket.

looks like all you need is a 1 1/16" wrench and a 10mm socket. It may be tight back there but looks doable without removing the upper intake.

coolerpooler

Did your car run badly before you decided to replace the EGR? I have the same car as you and mine stalls sometimes right when I start it up, and when it idols it sounds like it will stall. Even driving it is rough. What made you decide to change the EGR, did you have similar problems or did you get a code reading? Just wondering, cuz I'm not sure yet if I should go buy a new one, they are expensive.

Have you installed the new one yet? Is your car running better?

Oh, and I got my EGR off fine after I put a little PB blaster on the nut and bolt because it was so rusted they wouldn't budge. It's a tight space, but it's doable. I tried cleaning it with carb cleaner, but it didn't help and it wasn't that dirty. I dont know why, since i've never cleaned it before.

The MAP sensor is also built into this and that could cause the symptoms you are having.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spilios
Yeah mine on start up will be very rough and sometimes fall on its face and i haven't been able to install yet because of school today. Yes i have a code reader and it gave me the code so i got my friend to take it off cuz i was out of town and clean it for me he works at a dealership as a mechanic. He cleaned it put it back in and it was better for like a week then it came back. I also did a sort of pressure test by seeing if it would just allow me to blow through it and it would. So i'm replacing it.

04 Edge
Thanks for that i plan on doing it tonight and that will help.

Back