• Register Today It's free!

New tire carrier & New pictures

Mounty 09

Reaction score
City, State
Nothern IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
Friday night a friend and I welded up a tire carrier to fit in the hitch. Would love a full bumper with one but just cant afford that right now. Spent about $70 in materials and a few hours of fab and it was done. Still need to throw a coat of paint on there. I think it came out really good.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks great really like it might make one similar in the near future maybe add a Jerry can holder also, you just need to hit that spare rim with some black paint lol

Ya it will either get some paint or buy a 5th rim to match the rest.

looking good

Nice work. Love the truck too, hadn't seen it before. :thumbsup:

Just ordered a tire cover. Probably leave it black but one of my friends can put vinyl on it if I come up with something.

What rims are those Mounty09 ? I really like those.

The truck looks good and I like the way the tire carrier looks on that.

What rims are those Mounty09 ? I really like those.

They are Black Rock Lobo's. I really like them and not very many people have them so that makes it much better to me.

The truck looks good and I like the way the tire carrier looks on that.

Thanks. I kind of wish that it sat closer to the truck but then I wouldn't be able to open the window.

I did add a license plate mount with a light yesterday. Put it right below the tire. Also my vinyl cover came in today.

Wow, that's a nice looking mounty! I really like the tire mount too, I've seen the one on here before that is similar and have been meaning to make one for a while. Alas, I'm about to sale my 97 XLT and I'm buying a 99 X sport 4x4. time to start over with the mods lol :)

I thought they were Black Rock's, I've been looking at those and the tungsten grey's for awhile now but I think once I get some money and do the SAS, SOA in about two years I'm going with those. They just have the classic offroad look to them. I have a '03 ST XLT 4wd.

Thanks for all the complements guys. Just have to add my favorite pic from that day.

IMG_0002.jpg

i want your brush guard... I can haz???? lol, did you have much trouble mounting it with the 3"bl?

i love your mounty!! this is possibly one of my favortie set ups i've seen so far. wow, it's amazing

Looks good but I would honestly cut the brackets for your hitch and raise it up 3" to fit tighter against the bumper. That 3" drop ruins your departure angle in the rear.

i want your brush guard... I can haz???? lol, did you have much trouble mounting it with the 3"bl?

I got the brush guard for my birthday a few years ago. It is one of the ones off ebay for like $180. I like it alot but will be removed once I can afford to make bumper. To make it fit with the body lift I just cut out 3" on the brackets and welded them back together.
IMG00027-20100324-2005.jpg

i love your mounty!! this is possibly one of my favortie set ups i've seen so far. wow, it's amazing

Thanks, I try to be different.

Looks good but I would honestly cut the brackets for your hitch and raise it up 3" to fit tighter against the bumper. That 3" drop ruins your departure angle in the rear.

I would love to have it closer to the bumper but the quick look I took I don't think I can. I saw somebody did it on here but they used one of the square tubing hitches. Mine is a round tubing one and there doesn't appear I can move it up. I will look at it some more some time. If you know of how to do it I would love to hear about it.

what did you use/do to get the lower grey trim like that?

what did you use/do to get the lower grey trim like that?

First I used Herculiner, it lasted less than a year before it started to disappear. The sun just ate it away. Now I have Raptor Liner on it and seems much better. It is UV protected and much easier to clean.

In case anybody wanted, here is how the truck looked when I got it. My dad bought it off the show room floor in 1997 and in 2006 he gave it to me as my first vehicle. I can't even remember what it was driving like stock, I have changed so much.

IMG_2255.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it doesn't even look like the same truck! btw thanks for the info on the brush guard, i found one and will have it soon :)

Back