Transmission problems on 2005 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problems on 2005 Ford Explorer

desertheat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
My apologies, I previously posted this in the wrong section.

Here is my problem:

My check engine light came on yesterday. On the dash it also says CHECK TRANSMISSION and the O/D flashes on and off.

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT, 140K miles, trans fluid has never been flushed, all other repairs/oil changes have been consistent and regular.

Codes:

P0775

P1116

P1703

P1780

Engine/transmission problem background:

6 months ago, the vehicle had been overheating. I swapped out 2 of the sensors and that solved the problem.

2 months ago, CHECK TRANSMISSION indicator came on the dash, O/D light flashed on and off. Besides that, no problems at all with driving. Just these lights on the dash.

1 month ago, all lights go off. Nothing wrong with driving, no lights on dash indicate a problem.

3 weeks ago, truck starts making a whining noise when I drive. Only when the RPM's go up though, when truck maintains a consistent MPH or dips below that, noise goes away. Only when I put my foot on the gas do I hear this noise.

2 weeks ago, all lights come back on the dash. Tranny starts to slip when I hit 20 mph and 30 mph. Sometimes slips at 50 mph. CHECK TRANSMISSION indicator and O/D flash on and off, then go off completely.

Yesterday, all lights come back on. CHECK ENGINE, CHECK TRANSMISSION, O/D light stays on.

I use my Equus Innova 3100 tool on the truck and get the codes above.

Anyone pull these codes and have these problems?

It could be 2 things. First, and an easier fix would be a broken servo piston. You need to determine if its 2nd and 5th gear slipping/not engaging or 3rd and 4th. Unfortunately, this is 99% of the time not the problem. Second, its the bands inside the transmission. This requires a rebuild, which is almost always the problem.

I have this same problem with 2nd and 5th not fully engaging. I went with the servo piston in hopes of a quick fix, but was not the problem. Just have to get used to a weak 2nd and a nonexistent 5th until I can afford a new trans! I have 155K clocked.

from all the reading i have done about these transmissions, the servo bore o-ring mod has work in a majority of the threads i have read and believe me it's been many threads.

i think my problem is beyond that since i can not get the truck to engage in the D position, but can in 1,2,3 and once above 45 mph i can sometimes get it into the D position and the O/D light will flash.

so, judging by your symptoms you could check your band adjustment and if it checks out good, then most likely the servo bore with o-ring mod would fix your problems like so many others.

Back