Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

Transmission problems on 2005 Ford Explorer

Old 04-27-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
desertheat
2005 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Transmission problems on 2005 Ford Explorer

My apologies, I previously posted this in the wrong section.

Here is my problem:

My check engine light came on yesterday. On the dash it also says CHECK TRANSMISSION and the O/D flashes on and off.

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT, 140K miles, trans fluid has never been flushed, all other repairs/oil changes have been consistent and regular.

Codes:

P0775

P1116

P1703

P1780

Engine/transmission problem background:

6 months ago, the vehicle had been overheating. I swapped out 2 of the sensors and that solved the problem.

2 months ago, CHECK TRANSMISSION indicator came on the dash, O/D light flashed on and off. Besides that, no problems at all with driving. Just these lights on the dash.

1 month ago, all lights go off. Nothing wrong with driving, no lights on dash indicate a problem.

3 weeks ago, truck starts making a whining noise when I drive. Only when the RPM's go up though, when truck maintains a consistent MPH or dips below that, noise goes away. Only when I put my foot on the gas do I hear this noise.

2 weeks ago, all lights come back on the dash. Tranny starts to slip when I hit 20 mph and 30 mph. Sometimes slips at 50 mph. CHECK TRANSMISSION indicator and O/D flash on and off, then go off completely.

Yesterday, all lights come back on. CHECK ENGINE, CHECK TRANSMISSION, O/D light stays on.

I use my Equus Innova 3100 tool on the truck and get the codes above.

Anyone pull these codes and have these problems?
desertheat is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Ocean Pacific
Lake Arrowhead, CA
'03 Lifted/Loaded/Locked

Vehicle Specs

It could be 2 things. First, and an easier fix would be a broken servo piston. You need to determine if its 2nd and 5th gear slipping/not engaging or 3rd and 4th. Unfortunately, this is 99% of the time not the problem. Second, its the bands inside the transmission. This requires a rebuild, which is almost always the problem.

I have this same problem with 2nd and 5th not fully engaging. I went with the servo piston in hopes of a quick fix, but was not the problem. Just have to get used to a weak 2nd and a nonexistent 5th until I can afford a new trans! I have 155K clocked.
Ocean Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
DAT05EXPLODER
Hampton, New Hampshire
2002 XLT 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

from all the reading i have done about these transmissions, the servo bore o-ring mod has work in a majority of the threads i have read and believe me it's been many threads.

i think my problem is beyond that since i can not get the truck to engage in the D position, but can in 1,2,3 and once above 45 mph i can sometimes get it into the D position and the O/D light will flash.

so, judging by your symptoms you could check your band adjustment and if it checks out good, then most likely the servo bore with o-ring mod would fix your problems like so many others.
DAT05EXPLODER is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page