Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Hood Paint bubble and paint issues

Old 08-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
wilsor
Port Barrington, IL
2012 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Hood Paint bubble and paint issues

I just took delivery of my 2012 Explorer on Friday and was looking for advice about a tiny paint bubble on the hood about 1mm in size. It's not noticable unless you get right up on it, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. The dealership took pictures of it and said they'd fix it, but it would involve claying the bubble off and re-clear coating the spot. My concern is messing with the factory paint... Should I have them fix it or live with it? It doesn't bother me, I just don't want to increase the likelyhood for rust. Chances are, I wouldn't still own the vehicle once the paint warranty expires after 100,000 miles.
wilsor is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
TIO M
Copperas Cove, Texas
2011 LTD X/Platinum 4wd

Vehicle Specs

I'd fix it, what will you do when the paint gets hit by a tiny rock and chips the paint away? Then you'll be back at square one. Just my 2 cents, but I'd have them order me a new hood from factory, but then again no gurantees on a 100% paint match but better than having some local body shop mix the paint. I'd push for a new painted hood from factory it would be worth the wait.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
M1911A1
MICHIGAN

Vehicle Specs

US

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsor View Post
I just took delivery of my 2012 Explorer on Friday and was looking for advice about a tiny paint bubble on the hood about 1mm in size. It's not noticable unless you get right up on it, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. The dealership took pictures of it and said they'd fix it, but it would involve claying the bubble off and re-clear coating the spot. My concern is messing with the factory paint... Should I have them fix it or live with it? It doesn't bother me, I just don't want to increase the likelyhood for rust. Chances are, I wouldn't still own the vehicle once the paint warranty expires after 100,000 miles.
I would let the dealer fix it. If it "bubled" it means there isn't adhesion of paint to metal and it WILL rust. If your dealer is not capable of restoring a 1m.m. chip of paint to like new condition, on the hood of a car. Then we might as well close this country OUT OF BUSINESS.
M1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
As far as rust on the hood, aren't the hoods aluminum on the new Explorer?

Check out the Gray Ghost on Fuelly.com
Average Mileage: 21.3
Best Tank: 26.5
VinceL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
mountaineerbeast
Socorro, NM

97 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

I'd be pissed when considering how much these newer fords cost.
mountaineerbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
NEWPORTNJ
Elite Explorer
JERSEY CITY
2014 TUXEDO BLK LTD 302A

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Its an easy fix they will just sand it down with emery cloth and then buff it and then use clear coat and sand again then buff it no biggie !!! Trust me i'm very anal with my car's !!!
NEWPORTNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
K1200rsport
Greenville, SC
2011 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Got few of them on sides, atleast see 2 on driver side rear door

Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
mountaineerbeast
Socorro, NM

97 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Well...
Hopefully they fix all these problems for the 2012 model year.
mountaineerbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
boss377
Elite Explorer
Annandale, Virginia

2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerbeast View Post
I'd be pissed when considering how much these newer fords cost.
Compared to what? Sorry, but I've heard that refrain too many times. The new Explorer is a mid-priced vehicle, and you are getting a very good product even compared to the Audis that cost 20% more.

2006 Mustang GT, but that's a different site!
boss377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
K1200rsport
Greenville, SC
2011 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

I really don't care much about 2 small pain bubbles, you'll have lot more dings on it in next 6 months anyways.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
bluelion
Spring, TX
2012 EX Limited

Vehicle Specs

had a paint bubble...

well the day i purchased the Ex, i noticed a paint defect/bubble on the rear passenger door. i was lucky that i noticed it while it still sat on the showroom floor and pointed it out to them....they said they'll fix it later since it was 10pm on a wednesday night when i bought it....well last week i took it to their body shop and dropped off the ex....two days later i picked it up nice and shiny, paint bubble free.... here comes the funny part,

i went to get put into a rental car and they wanted to try to put me into some dodge minivan, and i didn't care for it much. and seeing that i was dropping it off during my work week, i really just needed a "point A to point B" type of car. wife was gonna be at home with the newborn and not going anywhere.....so i pointed to a vehicle and asked "is THAT available for rent?".....thinking that i was playing a practical joke, my wife ended up liking this car........

bluelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

blue 02 xlt & white 02xls

Vehicle Specs

So you had a paint bubble and ended up buying a Mini? cool!

jad2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
harlenm
Shelton, CT
2013 Limited(lemon swap)

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2411 View Post
So you had a paint bubble and ended up buying a Mini? cool!
That's a Fiat 500, not a Mini.
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
bluelion
Spring, TX
2012 EX Limited

Vehicle Specs

no, that was the rental i had.......and harlen is right,,,,its a Fiat, not a mini.
bluelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
harmsangha

Vehicle Specs

2011 eplorer paint problem

Has anyone with a Ford vehicle had any paint defects? I have what looks like a bubble coming out of the front bumper of my explorer 2011. It has started to crack a little so I put a little touch up paint on it. I took it to the dealership and they took pictures and sent them to ford, but the claim was denied. They state that it was caused by impact. I can not understand this because there is not a single mark anywhere on the bumper, nothing is misaligned or looks pushed in at all. Just this little bubble coming OUTWARD from the bumper. I don't know how this can be considered impact. I would thing impact would go inward. They simply denied the claim. I called the dealership and they said it is not their decision and to follow up with FORD. So I call ford of canada and they say there is no appealing the decision and if I disagree, then to speak with the dealership. This is just brutal service from Ford again, considering I've done a bit of looking around, and found several complaints online from other ford vehicle owners regarding paint bubbles/blistering problems on other cars. On top of that, the paint on the body on the inside of the liftgate has started to chip in a few spots. The dealer has yet to tell me about his claim. Probably looking at ford denying that one too with little to no explanation. These issues are on top of other things such as cooling fans/transmission slippage/roof rattles/etc that they are looking into. Everytime I get into this car it feels like something else is gonna break. When I speak to Ford Customer service they speak to me like I'm crazy and that Ford could never have a defect in their paint. In the USA, customers are able to escalate their concerns with regional customer service manager/reps and get some better service, but here in Canada, we don't have that option. We are stuck with whatever Ford does/tells us. I'm gonna have to start looking into what I can do in Canada regarding lemon laws.
harmsangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I've been looking over ours pretty carefully and haven't seen anything yet. The true test will be the first car wash.

Check out the Gray Ghost on Fuelly.com
Average Mileage: 21.3
Best Tank: 26.5
VinceL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
spitfisher
New England
1995 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Take a picture of yours and post it, so,we can see what exactly you 're speaking about. It never hurts to have a second set of eyes on something, or a 1000

2011 Explorer XLT Tri-White plat. Dual panel sun roof, Rapid spec 202a package, tan interior, 20" polished aluminum wheels, tow package, cross rails for roof, Husky mats throughout & Thule 2100. Built June 23rd
spitfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmsangha View Post
Has anyone with a Ford vehicle had any paint defects? I have what looks like a bubble coming out of the front bumper of my explorer 2011. It has started to crack a little so I put a little touch up paint on it. I took it to the dealership and they took pictures and sent them to ford, but the claim was denied. They state that it was caused by impact. I can not understand this because there is not a single mark anywhere on the bumper, nothing is misaligned or looks pushed in at all. Just this little bubble coming OUTWARD from the bumper. I don't know how this can be considered impact. I would thing impact would go inward. They simply denied the claim. I called the dealership and they said it is not their decision and to follow up with FORD. So I call ford of canada and they say there is no appealing the decision and if I disagree, then to speak with the dealership. This is just brutal service from Ford again, considering I've done a bit of looking around, and found several complaints online from other ford vehicle owners regarding paint bubbles/blistering problems on other cars. On top of that, the paint on the body on the inside of the liftgate has started to chip in a few spots. The dealer has yet to tell me about his claim. Probably looking at ford denying that one too with little to no explanation. These issues are on top of other things such as cooling fans/transmission slippage/roof rattles/etc that they are looking into. Everytime I get into this car it feels like something else is gonna break. When I speak to Ford Customer service they speak to me like I'm crazy and that Ford could never have a defect in their paint. In the USA, customers are able to escalate their concerns with regional customer service manager/reps and get some better service, but here in Canada, we don't have that option. We are stuck with whatever Ford does/tells us. I'm gonna have to start looking into what I can do in Canada regarding lemon laws.
There are no lemon laws here. Each province has some consumer protection statutes. In 2002 Ontario unsuccessfully attempted to pass a lemon law. However, all is not lost. Consumers here can submit disputes to the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP) for a neutral third-party resolution.

Peter

Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
harmsangha

Vehicle Specs

I will post a pic when the dealer is done correcting the remaining issues with the piece of junk.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
harmsangha

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk9 View Post
There are no lemon laws here. Each province has some consumer protection statutes. In 2002 Ontario unsuccessfully attempted to pass a lemon law. However, all is not lost. Consumers here can submit disputes to the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP) for a neutral third-party resolution.

Peter
I've been reading a bit about CAMVAP and it seems that the auto manufacturers are the ones who pay for them to run their "service" so I don't know how neutral they would be. I don't know anyone who has gone that route or what the success rate is. I'm pretty much up the river without a paddle. Looks like its time to sell this thing or look at a trade in from another car company. Back to Infiniti I think

Suggest this thread to friends: