2017 Explorer XLT Coolant everywhere after hood paint bubble repair!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer XLT Coolant everywhere after hood paint bubble repair!!

charron19

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
Just got the 2017 Ford Explorer XLT back from the body shop. Had the defective hood replaced because of the known paint bubbling issue. I decide to check under the hood to inspect the paint job and see coolant sprayed all over the underside of the front of the hood. Looks like I have a coolant leak. Any idea if the body shop would have been playing around with the coolant lines for any reason? I can't think of any. The vehicle has 30K on it. Can't determine where the leak is coming from. What a nightmare this vehicle is turning out to be.

IMG-8818.jpg

IMG-8820.jpg

IMG-8824.jpg

IMG-8821.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is on the oil filter looks more like oil than coolant. Have you checked your oil level? Are you positive the rest is actually coolant? Looking at that drop on the left in the first picture, the colour appears to be red. The normal coolant I believe is green? Have you changed it to a red coolant?

Peter

I think newer explorers use the red or pink coolant. I would take it back to dealer ASAP. Or if you want just take it for short drive to heat it up and pressurize system and you can probably find the source pretty easy with a leak that bad. Seems suspicious it’s not work related, but you never know.

I wouldn’t drive it to much as I see your coolant tank is on low side already.

I think newer explorers use the red or pink coolant. I would take it back to dealer ASAP. Or if you want just take it for short drive to heat it up and pressurize system and you can probably find the source pretty easy with a leak that bad. Seems suspicious it’s not work related, but you never know.

I wouldn’t drive it to much as I see your coolant tank is on low side already.
Sorry about that. Was thinking windshield washer fluid. I shouldn't be posting that late at night.:( The engine coolant is Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Prediluted according to the Owner's Manual. Thanks Keith.

Peter

This look odd to me, most of the leakage is on the front above the fan and the center of the engine cover. It looks like drips, but in these 2 places you would thing it would more of a spray. Also look at the reservoir in the second picture... it looks very low to me.

At the very least I would take it back to the dealer and have them inspect it and DETAIL the engine compartment, it looks like it's been rode hard and put away wet..... but that's just my thoughts.

The dealership looked at my vehicle today and they are adamant that the liquid is washer fluid, not engine coolant, and that this occurs because of snow buildup. They said they did a pressure test and everything looked ok. I don't use orange or pink washer fluid, I use green stuff from Costco. Also, there's never snow accumulation on my vehicle because its parked in a heated garage. Any suggestions what to do?

And... why would my engine coolant be low.

The dealership looked at my vehicle today and they are adamant that the liquid is washer fluid, not engine coolant, and that this occurs because of snow buildup. ........... Any suggestions what to do?
I have never heard that explanation for having washer fluid sprayed over the engine. How does "snow buildup contribute to this? I would be very interested in hearing their explanation as to how this "washer fluid" found its way to the front and how it changed colour. My suggestion is to go to another dealer along with the photos.

Peter

Check the hoses on right shock tower area
I believe they are from washer bottle to feed the front washer located on cowl and also feeds the rear washer. Possible they snagged it when replacing the hood. The hinge is right above the hose connections and the connections look like they just slip on. Have you use the washers? You may want someone to operate the wiper/washer while you look under the hood.

Check the hoses on right shock tower area
I believe they are from washer bottle to feed the front washer located on cowl and also feeds the rear washer. Possible they snagged it when replacing the hood. The hinge is right above the hose connections and the connections look like they just slip on. Have you use the washers? You may want someone to operate the wiper/washer while you look under the hood.
Doesn't hurt to check that but it doesn't explain one thing. Washer fluid is green. The fluid on the hood is clearly orange (coolant).

Peter

Does the OP know that the dealer didn't refill with orange washer fluid?

Part store carries Rain X in green & pink. Prestone in green also. Color seems to correspond with freezing point. Called Bug Wash - in same section with blue windshield fluid.

Does the OP know that the dealer didn't refill with orange washer fluid?
I believe the OEM is green, so if a dealer did top up, I would hope they would use the OEM recommended fluid.

Peter

Any update??

Dealer never found a leak. They think it was washer fluid even though I use a green coloured fluid from Costco. Haven’t had any further issues though.

Uh, a 2017 uses orange coolant, does it not???

What is on the oil filter looks more like oil than coolant. Have you checked your oil level? Are you positive the rest is actually coolant? Looking at that drop on the left in the first picture, the colour appears to be red. The normal coolant I believe is green? Have you changed it to a red coolant?

Peter
The coolant coming from my car was an orange color..... thought it would be green too. But nope, it's orange!

The coolant coming from my car was an orange color..... thought it would be green too. But nope, it's orange!

It should be. Green coolant, from what I remember, was only for 2011 (and maybe 2012) Explorers. Its been orange coolant otherwise.

For 2011 the colours were both green and orange for U.S and orange for Canada. For the 2012 both green and orange were listed with no country designation. In 2013, the colour was orange only. It's handy having all 5th gen Manuals on my computer.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For 2011 the colours were both green and orange for U.S and orange for Canada. For the 2012 both green and orange were listed with no country designation. In 2013, the colour was orange only. It's handy having all 5th gen Manuals on my computer.;)

Peter

It certainly is, thank you for the clarification!

Seems like a recipe for disaster honestly, why would they list both colours??.

Back