Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Front end noise from front left tire???

Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
martifd
Minneapolis MN
2002 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Front end noise from front left tire???

I have a humming sort of noise coming from my front driver tire. I also have a higher pitched humming noise coming from the rear which i believe is the pinion bearing. I can't aford to fix that now so i'm not worried about it now. My concern is the front end noise. The noise gets louder with the speed of the vehicle. One thing i noticed is around 65 the noise almost disapears. When i turn to the right the noise gets louder and dims when i turn to the left. There is no shaking the truck still rides smooth just the noise. My assumption was the front drivers wheel bearing so i changed the whole hub assembly. The noise is still there. If anything it might have gotten a little bit worse. Is there a possability that i got a bad assembly??? I also rotated the tires and changed the front dirrential and transfer fluid. What would the other possibilities be? I need to get this fixed, i don't feel safe when i have my kids in the truck on the highway. Any info i can get will be greatly appriciated.
martifd is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
martifd
Minneapolis MN
2002 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
It's a 2002 6 cylinder.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
pet575
Kansas City, MO
2004 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Have someone else drive the vehicle while you sit in different seats to listen. Pretty common that what sounds like it is coming from one place sounds much different from a non-driver's seat. I've seen people on here mention that they thought driver's side, changed it, noise still there, changed passenger and then noise was gone.
pet575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
BigRondo
USMC 1371
Worcester, MA

2002 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet575 View Post
Have someone else drive the vehicle while you sit in different seats to listen. Pretty common that what sounds like it is coming from one place sounds much different from a non-driver's seat. I've seen people on here mention that they thought driver's side, changed it, noise still there, changed passenger and then noise was gone.
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND on 4-22-13
Don't mess with Boston. They will drop everything, hunt you down, and then go on like you never existed once they are done cleaning up the mess.
BigRondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
martifd
Minneapolis MN
2002 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I tried that and it still sounded like it was coming from the driver side. But i'm thinkin about trying the passenger side as well, but the only thing is the hub assembly was 200. I heard that the rear aren't as expensive and aren't that hard to change. Has anyone changed one?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
rocco123
Endicott, NY

1994 XLT & 2002 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've replaced them all before. If you are going to do the work yourself and plan on keeping the truck get a press because there will be more in the future. Plenty of instruction in this website. Even if you plan on buying the assembly, you will need to press it together or have a shop do them.
rocco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
martifd
Minneapolis MN
2002 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well i found out what my problem was. It was my right front bearing. But after changing the bearing out i have a slight shake when going 70 or higher on the highway. I torqued the bearing bolts to 80 and spindle nut to 170 so i don't know where the shake could be coming from. Do the lug nuts have to be torqued to a certain spec, will over tightening them cause any problems? Any ideas of where the shake could be coming from would be of great help. Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
747driver
Elite Explorer
downers grove,il
03 mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Lug nuts should be torqued to 100 ft lbs. I have replaced all my wheel bearings. I took my rear hub assemblies to the Ford dealer and they pressed out the old and pressed in the new for $80. Maybe your tires are out of balance ?
747driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
martifd
Minneapolis MN
2002 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Lug nuts and spindle nut were too tight. Thanks