Solenoid Block versus Servo Bore Problem - 2005 w/5R55S Tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solenoid Block versus Servo Bore Problem - 2005 w/5R55S Tranny

LTCPipkin

Reaction score
City, State
Netcong, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT, 1993 Limited
I'm dying here trying to get my 2005 Explorer (5R55S) back on the road. I've spent countless hours reading through the threads here and came to the conclusion that P0775 (Shift Solenoid B) error meant that I had a 90+% chance of resolving it by installing the OD/IM Servos with the eBay solution (o-rings on servo shafts). Well, it didn't work. Yes, I can definitely feel it shifting better, but I must let off the pedal and force a shift to 2nd and I still don't have 5th....OD Light still blinking. I figured if I lost this 50-50 crap shoot, I'd at least chosen something that I would more likely have to do in the future anyway. Now I have a new Servo Bore solution...AND the same symptoms.

So, I guess my questions are:

1) should I just go ahead and replace the Solenoid Block now? Dealer wants $412 for it. I wound a Sonnax online for $259. Any other sources?

2) Will I cause any damage if I keep driving it for a while? I remember reading a posting where someone drove it with my symptoms for 100K miles before they finally decided to rebuild.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm dying here trying to get my 2005 Explorer (5R55S) back on the road. I've spent countless hours reading through the threads here and came to the conclusion that P0775 (Shift Solenoid B) error meant that I had a 90+% chance of resolving it by installing the OD/IM Servos with the eBay solution (o-rings on servo shafts). Well, it didn't work. Yes, I can definitely feel it shifting better, but I must let off the pedal and force a shift to 2nd and I still don't have 5th....OD Light still blinking. I figured if I lost this 50-50 crap shoot, I'd at least chosen something that I would more likely have to do in the future anyway. Now I have a new Servo Bore solution...AND the same symptoms.

So, I guess my questions are:

1) should I just go ahead and replace the Solenoid Block now? Dealer wants $412 for it. I wound a Sonnax online for $259. Any other sources?

2) Will I cause any damage if I keep driving it for a while? I remember reading a posting where someone drove it with my symptoms for 100K miles before they finally decided to rebuild.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

I have a brand new in the box solenoid block on EBAY for $225.00 Shipped.
I bought it 2 weeks ago and ended up selling the explorer.
Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200696469596?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

ACCAT800, check your eBay. I just bought it. Thanks for a great deal.

Is there any way you could get that into the mail tomorrow (Saturday)? The faster I get that into my tranny, the quicker I can get on with my life!!!

Thanks,
Michael

you did unplug the battery for at least 30 min to reset the computer once you have installed the new servos right? If you don't the computer may have stayed in LIMP mode which makes the transmission act like your description.

Also did you check if you were able to do a band adjustment?
The overdrive band is applied during 1-2 and 4-5 shifts....if it is broken than the tranny will also act as you described.

Did you check the resistance values of the solenoids? This can give you an idea if you have a sensor/solenoid issue.

ok looks like i am in the right area.. i have the 5R55S transmission in my 04 explorer XLS i am going to have to replace my shift solenoid, from what i understand its pretty much a plug and play, drop the pan a few hex bolts? has anyone done this that can give me more of a description as in what tools i will need..

Nando

8mm socket for pan and filter bolts solenoid body is held with 8 #30 Torx head bolts

The specs for installing solenoid body are: torque all of the solenoid body bolts to 89in.lb. (8 N.m), using a criss-cross pattern

BTW - did you already ohm out the shift solenoids? Why do you believe that the shift solenoid is your problem?

the O/D light flashes some times and i am having late shifs the RPMs ramp up as if its out of gear then i take my foot of the throttle and it will shift. i know its a common problem with the 5R55S.

Check the codes as well as doing a resistance test on the ecm connector from the transmission. this should give you a good idea if the problem is the solenoid block.

Does the transmission shift into all 5 gears (ie do you still have OD)?

---If you can't find any documentation on how to do the resistance test and the correct ohms ranges for the different components let me know and I can probably post them sometime this evening

Check the codes as well as doing a resistance test on the ecm connector from the transmission. this should give you a good idea if the problem is the solenoid block.

Does the transmission shift into all 5 gears (ie do you still have OD)?

---If you can't find any documentation on how to do the resistance test and the correct ohms ranges for the different components let me know and I can probably post them sometime this evening

If the transmission does still shift through all 5 gears... But shill has harsh shifting problems, what does that lead you to believe is the problem?

Helps to rule out a few things like broken bands and servos....although it still could be servo bore wear that is allowing fluid to bypass the servo and causing shifting issues.

The solenoid block theory looks more promising if you can still shift into all gears

yes it does shift all 5 gears.. shifts late but they do shift. and can get up to speed on the freeway so thats why i thought it was the shift silenoid

Hobbitak, I am in the midst of diagnosing my Solenoid in my 5R55S tranny (2005 Explorer). The links I have seen or been given show a diagram that looks NOTHING like my cable when I pull it from the PCM. Could you please post the 5R55S solenoid diagnostic prodcedures/pics as well?

My Servo Bore repair didn't fix my symptoms...so, I found a new Solenoid Block on eBay that I will add in a couple weeks. Just wanted to diagnose my existing block before I violated this new block with MERCON V.

Thanks,
Michael

scanner took a crap....trying to scan a couple of pages from my ATSG 5r55s/5r55w tech manual

hopefully I get it to work soon

The specs for installing solenoid body are: torque all of the solenoid body bolts to 89in.lb. (8 N.m), using a criss-cross pattern

I'm sorry 8nm is actually 71 in lbs

Hate to come off topic but slightly... Mine was rebuilt last Jan and on the invoice it states I have a 5r55w....?? Is this correct because all replaced parts say for a 5r55w or N???
Did he jack it up with the wrong parts or is this ok? Does anyone notice anything that wasn't replaced but should have? Warranty ends this month and I swear its still not right...
6241836901_ff3c6065b5_m.jpg

Explorer transmission rebuild parts list

Here are the resistance check and PCM location information....sorry it took me so long.

2-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

hobbitak, thanks, but I don't see anything but your words. No pics or links.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back