Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

2nd row console

Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
4dolls
2013 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2nd row console

We recently purchased the 2013 Limited with 2nd row bucket seats. It did not have the 2nd row console but we thought we could get one easily added. However, now we are hearing that Ford doesn't have the 2nd row console as a part item so I'm looking elsewhere. Does anyone have an idea on where to go for that? Or perhaps adding arm rests to the 2nd row bucket seats?
4dolls is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum 4dolls!

There are a couple of threads dealing with this topic. If you use the search function, you should be able to find them. I would use keywords such as 2nd row console, and maybe 2011, 2012 to help get the appropriate results.

The take home message from the threads that you find is that while it is only a $100 option to have added at the factory, since Ford does not sell it as a unit, it has to be pieced together from parts to the tune of around $900! Others on here have found units from salvage yards to install. Internet searches would be helpful for that.

As for adding armrests, I have not seen anything on attempting that.

Good luck

Check out the Gray Ghost on Fuelly.com
Average Mileage: 21.3
Best Tank: 26.5
VinceL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dolls View Post
We recently purchased the 2013 Limited with 2nd row bucket seats. It did not have the 2nd row console but we thought we could get one easily added. However, now we are hearing that Ford doesn't have the 2nd row console as a part item so I'm looking elsewhere. Does anyone have an idea on where to go for that? Or perhaps adding arm rests to the 2nd row bucket seats?
I just want to add my welcome to the Forum as well 4dolls.
As Vince mentioned, there have been previous discussions on the 2nd row console with the end result being that it can't be ordered as a 'stand alone' item. Being this Explorer model is still a fairly new one, I would think that finding a 'wrecked' one would be difficult.
If you have an auto wrecker yard near you, perhaps you could go there and ask them to do a search through their network. Just a thought.

Peter

Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Christopher
Massachusetts
2012 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

I made the same mistake! My dealer quoted me $1300 but, gave me the detailed parts list. I took that and went shopping on line and found I could get all the parts I need for $800-900. I'm still debating what to do and I would be interested to know if you found a cheaper alternative.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
MunnyGuy
Windsor
2013 Explorer LTD,

Vehicle Specs

Hey all. Yup same here... amazing how a $100 factory option is quoted at $1243 + labour afterwards. I guess I found this forum too late.

Any idea if an aftermarket option is available?
MunnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnyGuy View Post
Hey all. Yup same here... amazing how a $100 factory option is quoted at $1243 + labour afterwards. I guess I found this forum too late.

Any idea if an aftermarket option is available?
Welcome to the Forum MunnyGuy.
Yes, unfortunately you found your answer too late. I guess the cost is really no different than if tried to build your Explorer from scratch by ordering all the parts needed. I'm quite sure the final bill would exceed the cost of the vehicle built at the factory.
I haven't heard of any aftermarket units. You could try searching for one from automobile recyclers but I doubt you would find too many written off 2011 -2013 Explorers. Good luck.

Peter

Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
goofydisneydaddy
Falls Church, VA
2012 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Just wanted to chime in the I believe the flex uses the same console. Since they have been around longer, it might be easier to find one that has been scrapped. This is what I have heard -- I have not tried it myself, so buyer beware.
goofydisneydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
ExploreThis2012
2012 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat as you having the buckets with no console. At first I wanted to add a console, but after having the Explorer for 6 months I have decided it is not a necessity. The main reason is easier entry and exit to the third row, not having to fold a seat to get into the back. Also with the third row folded down, the way I have it 90% of the time, there is easier access to storage behind the second row.
Hope this helps

Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
elyfishn

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dolls View Post
elyfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
elyfishn

Vehicle Specs

So far adding the second row console is not an easy option. It comes as a factory installed option at about $100, but I have learned that there is no kit or preassembled console to just add yourself. The dealer can order the parts (there are apprx. 25) and install for a cost upwards of $1,000! Ridiculous right - why do they do this?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyfishn View Post
So far adding the second row console is not an easy option. It comes as a factory installed option at about $100, but I have learned that there is no kit or preassembled console to just add yourself. The dealer can order the parts (there are apprx. 25) and install for a cost upwards of $1,000! Ridiculous right - why do they do this?
I'm guessing that there really isn't a demand for the console alone. The majority of owners would order it when getting the 2nd row buckets. This is something the salesman should make an effort to point out to prospective buyers who are getting the 2nd row bucket seats.

Peter

Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
cowboyearl
columbia kentucky
2012 exployer limited

Vehicle Specs

Walmart

I bought 1 at walmart for $30. Not fancy, but has cup holder and a storage area. Put a small pillow on it to rest your arm on. It matches my interior.
cowboyearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
elyfishn

Vehicle Specs

2nd Row Console

As earlier responses note there is still no easy way to get a second row console unless ordered from the factory. However, it is an expensive dealer install. I have obtained a second row console and wonder if anyone has any knowledge on installation instructions? If not I will ask the dealer.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
jrmexplorer
Elite Explorer
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyfishn View Post
As earlier responses note there is still no easy way to get a second row console unless ordered from the factory. However, it is an expensive dealer install. I have obtained a second row console and wonder if anyone has any knowledge on installation instructions? If not I will ask the dealer.
I can't help you on the install, but may I ask where you obtained the console?
jrmexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
elyfishn

Vehicle Specs

Connections - only because my brother knows someone at Ford! I was very lucky to snag one!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
RonJrSVCMGR
Moderator Emeritus
Gilford, NH

'13 Ford Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

I can tell you my 10 year old uses the console non-stop when she is in the Explorer. Great place to put your ipod and "hide it" when you get out of the car. Best $100 we spent on the Explorer (ok, $850, because the buckets in the second row are one of my FAVORITE parts of the interior because it opens everything up).

2013 Ford Explorer Limited AWD in White Platinum Tri-coat & Medium Light Stone interior. 302a package with power fold 2nd row bucket seats, 2nd row center console, power fold 3rd row seats, trailer tow package, heated/cooled front seats, Ford all-weather floor mats (summer), WeatherTech Floor liners for all three rows (winter) & Cargo Well + Cargo Liner, additional Trailer Hitch Cap modified to accommodate a Bike Carrier, dual moonroof and Visual Garage Shark Fin Antenna. Goes by the name "Storm Trooper".
RonJrSVCMGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
elyfishn

Vehicle Specs

2nd Row Console

Update on my 2nd row console installation. If you are lucky enough to locate an assembled 2nd row console it is a very easy install. Flip the two bucket seats up to access the full floor and allow room to work. Remove the plastic floor plate, which reveals the mounting bracket and use the same bolts to attach the console which fits over the bracket. I did not have to trim the carpet (as suggested to me and strongly recommend that you don't) and also did not have to utilize the floor mounting holes located on the bottom front of the console as it fits quite snug with just using the back bracket mount. Without cutting the carpet you can easily remove the console and retain the finished look. If you have small children it may be easier for them to jump in the third row without fussing with the second row seats! Love the second row console!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
ricanex

Vehicle Specs

Hello, I can also confirm that the Flex console works on the 2011-2013 Explorer. I did it on mine. Just bought the console from ebay, painted it and went to an upholstery shop to add the right color leather. All in all spent about $200 bucks.
ricanex is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: