• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade Time!!!

98Rig

Reaction score
City, State
Stevens Point, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
so this weekend i will be ordering struteks for all 4 corners of my 03 ex 4.0.

while inspecting this i did notice that my pass rear axle shaft seal is leaking and going to go ahead and fix that too along with changing rear end fluid. i have code 46 rear end so it is open diff. im been researching and cant find a part number or place that i can find this seal, my pinion seal is good and have been fortunate enough to have no noise back there. (Thank you P/O for getting that taken care of.) can anyone help me out with finding out this part for me? i want to order everything before i start the game of busted knuckles and bleeding fingers.

I am running StruTEK's on all four corners and love them. You won'r be disappointed!! :D:thumbsup:

gotta get it from Ford. They changed the design of the axle shaft seal. the early design ones leak.

so this friday i got the struts, saturday they were in, sunday i test drove it.

the stuts were easier that what i seen reading some posts in here, i did not have to remove a signle balljoint or tie rod end, just disconnected the swaybar end links and lower control arm bolt to hub assembly and gave me enough room to remove and reinstall stuts. fronts were easier than rear. the only hard time i had with stuts is those damn top 3 bolts, on each struts in the rear. racheting wrenched worked wonders after a said screw this and picked up a set. 13mm is what you need. before i finished the rears i had to replace an axle houseing seal on the pass side. rear axle came out with a little finesse and went back together just as easily. only thing i would have to say is when doing rear axle fluid, i drained mine and noticed there was still a good amount of old fluid in there. so i ran my tubing as far back in the diff as possibly and used the new fluid to push the old fluid out since i bought 3 bottles and only needed like 2 1/2. did that till new fluid started comming out of the drain plug then buttoned it up and filled the rest of the housing with new fluid. a quick tip if you have an air compressor, attach tube from inside diff to bottle. secure it on with a little black tape. flip bottle upside down and punch hole in bottle. set air compressor to about 20psi and push air nozzle onto hole. the slight pressure worked perfect to push the fluid through the hose without much effort and no need to squeeze the bottle now.

Back