• Register Today It's free!

Project Mud Sl*t

fastcharlie

Reaction score
City, State
franklin, new hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer 4wd
well the work has finally started on my 91. as of right now she sits on 31s with some autozone spacers up front. surprisingly no rub whatsoever. 4.0 automatic with 321,873 miles on her. original motor, second trans. not too bad if you ask me. but shes starting to show it... so its time for a rebuild. originally came from Arizona, so theres just about zero rust, and as of now theres one tiny little dent on the entire body.
373940_480477615314393_295405452_n.jpg

418612_479584962070325_600256843_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i need to do something about the motor, shes a little tired... im not sure which route i want to go. i dont want to waste my time or money with another 4.0, but ive read up on the 302 swap and it gets pricey due to custom everything, ecspecially headers. if im going to spend alot of money, im leaning towards a 4bt cummins. tons of power, very reliable. as far as lift, im going solid axle, not sure if i'll do full width or not. i do know that i need a snorkel ASAP...
392178_480492271979594_260133138_n.jpg

figured id throw in a pic of my wheelin partner, after our latest excursion up the Shaw Pond trail last night. that was rugged...

Yea they might can get pricey if you did want to stay with gas though you could put a 351 Windsor in its the same block as a 302 and more c.i.(this is what I wanna do one day) or if you wanna go diesel I would go with the 7.3 you can build it up and it can be bullet proof. (i'm not a fan of GM or dodge parts on a ford and vice versa)

The 7.3 is huge, way more custom work (push back firewall, etc) whereas the 4bt is about the same size as a 4.0. and its a cummins, which is used in dodges and, the 4bt specifically, chevy step vans. not built by either though. same with the 7.3. used in fords, but not built by ford. i would never let a dodge or chevy part touch my ford :D

very true, haha. its an insane motor, but im getting a real diesel dually come spring sooo i think i'll wait to make that one nasty. i just want this one for trail reliability.

Back