Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

How To Change Crank Shaft Position Sensor -- 97 5.0

Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
mbruffey
Elite Explorer
MN, MN
1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
How To Change Crank Shaft Position Sensor -- 97 5.0

Here's how I did it. My 97 5.0 has the tow package / tranny cooler which is kind of in the way.

(0) Prepare to get really gicky.
(1) Remove the serpentine belt (15mm on the tensioner)
(2) Remove the tensioner (2 @ 10mm). Go ahead; just do it now.
(3) Clean all the glop off the crank sensor that so you can actually see it. Yeah, you do have one . . . . It's more or less right behind the tensioner, which you just removed.
(4) Remove crank sensor bolts (2 @ 5/16"). They're right snug. I had to go to a 6-sided socket to prevent stripping the head of one. You can get them from beneath, but you have to go by feel for the upper, since you can't really see it. Just be sure to get a good bite, or, as I mentioned, you might strip the head.
(5) Now, from the top side, work the sensor wire retainer off the bolt and work the sensor up to where you can carefully disconnect, inspect, and clean it.

Slap a little silicone grease on the connector and reverse the process. Might want a bit of Threadlok Blue on the bolts, too.

**The most commonly available replacement (for the 5.0) seems to be made by Standard (PC325, or PC350[w/bracket]). Pics online look like they have Ford part numbers, so I'm guessing that Standard is actually the OEM for the part. I'd love to have confirmation of that . . . .

mbruffey

kw: CKP, crankshaft position sensor, crank position sensor

Last edited by mbruffey; 08-17-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: add stuff
mbruffey is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
kdspapa
Southern Oregon -Grants Pass

99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0L

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Replacing crankshaft sensor 99 Mounty 5.0

I just replaced mine by just removing the serpentine belt and feeling my way around. It turned out all right but if I had to do it again, I think I would pull the fan shroud and fan/clutch assembly first. That would give you plenty of room to work and room to inspect and cleanup everything up front. Live and learn!
kdspapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: