• Register Today It's free!

3 inch Spindle lift questions...

Rich91

Reaction score
City, State
Sunrise, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
So i saw on a thread that after the lift is done that your break caliper will hit your lower control arm when you turn to lock , and you will lose break pressure. anyone have this problem ? any ways to fix it? or was this is just a single case and isnt certain for all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this problem before. Grind off the factory steering stops on lower control arms.

lift spindle help

Did the spindle lift today and ran into a few problems.
1. ABS sensor stuck out to far and the screw didnt fit in the hole
2. there is a wobble when i turn sometimes , any thought on what that is ?
3. break lines are to short . Do i need longer ones or can i make a new bracket to lower them ?

..I merged your threads together so those whom are following yesterdays thread could help with today's thread since it is the same item you are working on...;)

You should get longer brake lines. You can bend the hardline down enough that it will work but when I did mine I decided that I dont wanna mickey mouse my brakes and have the line burst or something.

The wobbling is probably not having the wheel bearings tight enough. Or maybe you didnt pack them good enough. It hard to say without being there.

I dont really know what to say about the ABS sensor. Sorry. Mine fit right in with no problem.

And with the steering stops if you grind off the factory stops it should work. Fabtech also has a set that bolts right in that I used. I have heard to the you could shock the caliper but before I put my stops on after a month of having the lift and I never had that problem.

solution

I know this is an old thread but what are some solutions to having the brake calipers stop from hitting the LCA's I cant find any steering stops that people always talk about installing. grinding off the factory stops did not help

I know this is an old thread but what are some solutions to having the brake calipers stop from hitting the LCA's I cant find any steering stops that people always talk about installing. grinding off the factory stops did not help

The steering stops are in the middle. Idk where to just buy the stops though. If you dont have any fabrication skills then go to a shop and have them make you one. Call Fabtech and they might be able to direct you in the right direction as far as ordering just the stops.

Thanks for the quick response. Sweet! alright i can make those or something like that. where did those mount to on the LCA's?

The pics are not the best quality but here are some of how to mount it.

There is a hole in the top of the LCA that isnt used for anything. 1 bolt goes there and they suggest drilling 2 small holes in the side of the LCA sd you can see in the first pic but I didnt and havnt had a problem.

Got it! Thanks! That helps me 100%! That's everything I needed. Once i saw the pic i knew exactly the hole your talking about. I was wondering what could go there lol.... I can take it from here.
Thanks for your help.

No problem!

"2. there is a wobble when i turn sometimes , any thought on what that is ?"
tie rod ends, I didn't read whole thread just skimmed but first thought is tie rod ends

3'' lift spindle ford ranger problem

i have the same problem spindle hits lower control arm i lost 20% turning radius the spindle is dangerously close to the break caliper . is there a fix for this ?

I looked on the fabtech website just now, are the spindles for the ranger the same as the explorer? I have a 2wd 2000 sport..thanks

I may be wrong on this but you will need the spindles from a Ranger sport for any 2nd gen explorer models. Also, the brake rotors on the Explorer sport are 12.25"dia, you will need non-sport rotors 11.25"dia for the spindle lift. Once again I may be wrong but there are lots of threads on this

I just ordered a set of fabtech edge spindles, and am gonna order the 11' rotors, but I'm not sure about the pads and calipers. Do they need to be swapped in for ranger edge ones or can I use my stock ones?

If I remember right only the spindle is different (caliper mounting hole location), the pads and calipers should be the same. Cross reference part numbers on rockauto.com between the sport and xlt pads and calipers.

I installed the fabtech lift spindles on mine a couple of weeks ago, so far no issues. I was able to use the factory calipers and the same size pads and bearings as well. The only thing that I had to change was the rotors other than that everything was the same as before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem with my calipers hitting the control arm. I bought the classic tech spindles for a ranger. Is it just that brand of spindle that is causing it to hit?

Back