Alex's 2001 explorer xlt registry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alex's 2001 explorer xlt registry

Hi my name is alex im 19 and i live in orlando fl. I am a college student. I bought a 2001 ford explorer XLT 2 months ago.
It is a 4.0 SOHC 2wd with 85,000 miles on it.

7e3153c8.jpg

44e05dfc.jpg

1338de00.jpg

5fe2dc76.jpg

e662b66f.jpg

5c593f9c.jpg

Things Ive done:
-TT/Shackles
-31" BFG at ko
-Cragar D Window Wheels
-Monroe Sensatrac Load Adjusting Shocks
-All new Moog Upper and Lower Balljoints
-Alpine IVE-W530 headunit
-Tinted Tailights
-Rear Cargo Liner

Things I still want to do:
-Either a bull bar or brush guard
-Some clear headlights with a black housing or the projector ones (not sure which)
-Paint the grille black
-Repaint the chipping roof rack
-Tint the front windows
-Leather seat swap
-Probably more that I am not thinking of at the moment. Always have little ideas running through my head.

Lots of things i would like to do. Nothing too major , however i am tight on money and it will be a while untill i get it done.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions for me.

EDIT:
This is how she sits now

IMG_0445_zps39be1c0c.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice looking Explorer. What exactly is the matter with the cruise control?

To remove the radio bezel to fix the cig lighter all you need to do is get the ford radio tools (wally world) pull out the radio, remove the two 8mm bolts above the temperature controls, carefully pull the trim off and disconnect the 5 connectors on the the back to the rear windshield wiper, window defroster, fog lights, 4x4 dummy wiring and cig lighter.

You can go to Micheal's or some art store and get some fake leather stuff and use it to replace your ripped stuff on the armrest. I used some. Took me like an hour, and I'm not very artsy at all. Just take out the armrest, take it apart (the black plastic underneath needs to come off), and use some double sided tape to hold it on, then that black plastic piece will grip the new stuff and it'll stay nicely.
Tip, cause mine is having some issues, use thin stuff or take the current stuff off completely. I used some thick-ish stuff, which made it a pain to get the black plastic piece back on, plus it's having some slight fitment issues -_- so now I've gotta either make adjustments or redo the whole thing again. Just an idea so that when a chick gets in your car it'll look nice and clean, rather than ripped. It's the little things that help, haha

They sell the kit for the arm rest for 20 bucks or so. There is a vendor on here.

Nice looking Explorer. What exactly is the matter with the cruise control? QUOTE]

well i had the old ones replaced by a ford dealer because they were meltged and gooey but i just cant get it to work now. I started a thread to find out but i havent had the time or mechanical knowledge to check what everyone had to say.

P.S. I never tried the cruise control before i bought it. And the cigarette lighter it looks like someone pushed it in too far when plugging something in and it broke through the housing. it works but it doesnt sit in the bezzel anymore

They sell the kit for the arm rest for 20 bucks or so. There is a vendor on here.

-_- damn it. I tried so hard, just to find out I could have spent $20 and get it done really well. But whatever, I'm proud of my work and it was free since I found the stuff at my house! Woo! Thanks for the info though, hopefully I'll remember that next time.

yea ive looked at them but im waiting because i dont know if i want to go back to stock or buy my own custom material and go that route

well i had the old ones replaced by a ford dealer because they were meltged and gooey but i just cant get it to work now. I started a thread to find out but i havent had the time or mechanical knowledge to check what everyone had to say.
So the buttons are all messed up?

And the cigarette lighter it looks like someone pushed it in too far when plugging something in and it broke through the housing. it works but it doesnt sit in the bezzel anymore
Costs like $7 at autozone. Not too hard of a fix. Just replaced mine two days ago.

yea ive looked at them but im waiting because i dont know if i want to go back to stock or buy my own custom material and go that route

Go with suede. Thats what I was going to do. My OCD wouldn't let me though because I couldn't find the right shade of blue/green to match my odd interior color.

So the buttons are all messed up?

no the buttons are fine now i just cant get it to work. Ive heard it could be the clockspring, servo plug, or a plug on the brake master cylinder

If you have had the recall done and the brake switch was not replaced at that time, you will have a harness with two fuses in it on the switch. It is quite possible that your switch leaked and blew the fuse. You can go to any ford dealer and get the replacement harness and improved brake switch. The kit was about $20.

If you have had the recall done and the brake switch was not replaced at that time, you will have a harness with two fuses in it on the switch. It is quite possible that your switch leaked and blew the fuse. You can go to any ford dealer and get the replacement harness and improved brake switch. The kit was about $20.

yea i have the new harness but the old orange fuse so that could be it

nice x u got there

Update

I took the ex to myrtle beach south carolina from orlando about 9 hours each way and she ran beautifully. No hiccups whatsoever. Got just a little over 20 mpg which i cant complain about.

Also i have plans a couple weeekends from now to go to the junkyard and see if i can find anything interesting. Maybe some leather seats :)

Update

So i finally made my first mod to my ex. I got a bluetooth dvd double din touchscreen radio for christmas and i put it in a couple days ago. I wired the mic from the bluetooth through the hole from the broken cigarette lighter. I like it and i think it looks good. My next project will be to do the ball joints on my ex and then the TT/Shackles

IMG_0602_zps526a5171.jpg

IMG_0271_zps72ad5f03.jpg

IMG_0270_zps9f66c19b.jpg

Got all my ball joints fixed the other day. I was going to attempt to do it myself but my dad got a good price from his mechanic and offered to pay for it. So i had it done at the shop. It is all moog stuff and the truck handles so much better and there is no more embarassing squeak.

Sexy parts. I had mine replaced back when I was noT real into paying attention to the parts I used. I have el cheapo brand ones, which both now have the grease fittings snapped off.

Just pay attention to re-greasing them from time to time, especially if you go 4 wheeling in the mud.

A couple updates So i finally installed:

31" BFG's
Cragar D window 15x8 wheels
Monroe load adjusting shocks
Warrior Shackles
Torsion Twist

Truck with just rims and tires

IMG_0356_zpsce878029.jpg

After TT/Shackles

IMG_0445_zps39be1c0c.jpg

Shocks

IMG_0447_zps53acc34f.jpg

Shackles

IMG_0448_zps99297328.jpg

Very happy with how the truck sits as of now. I still need to do a little trimming, but i need to pick up a dremmel or something like that. So it may be a week or two before thats done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tinted the tailights and finally got them on today kind of a bad picture because it was getting dark. Ill try to get a better one tomorrow.

image_zps11f7587f.jpg

Back