Wrong Temperature Sensor? 1995 Explorer EFI OHV 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrong Temperature Sensor? 1995 Explorer EFI OHV 4.0L

novidyahere

Reaction score
So I went to the auto parts and bought a temperature sensor sender, all fine and dandy till I arrived home and tried to replace it, and it wasn't exactly what I was trying to buy.
http://puu.sh/1QRk0

I'm guessing this is the Engine Temperature Sensor and not the Temperature Sender Unit, right?

Anyway since I got this already and it was cheap I may as well use it.
But I can't exactly locate where this goes. I know the one to the top left above the thermostat housing is the unit sender(I think so).

Any help locating where this goes will be appreciated.

I tried using google and more but I just get mixed results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are 2 of them,, one above the thermostat, the other drivers side of the block,,

The temp guage sender has one wire and the ECT for engine control has two wires.

I used to work at an auto parts store and most customers asked for the wrong part. There is a temp SENDER (works the temp gauge) and a coolant temp SENSOR (tells the PCM the engine's temp and increases the amount of fuel delivered during cold start-up (if necessary) by increasing the fuel injector pulse width, like an automatic choke on a carbureted engine. If I remember correctly, not all Ford coolant temp SENSORS have 2 wires (some have only 1). The way I told them apart, visually, was that the gauge SENDER had a cylindrical tip and the coolant temp SENSOR had a wider conical shaped tip. Sometimes the sender is found in the cylinder head and sometimes it's in the intake manifold or the thermostat housing, but they are always placed in the coolant stream.

Back