• Register Today It's free!

Temp Sensor Mystery

TsherryUSA

Reaction score
City, State
PORTLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer 4WD 5spd
So my temp gauge / sensor on the dash has never really worked. 99% of the time it reads cold on the bottom. Doesn't budge ever. It will go up to the middle if I'm blasting heat and driving up a steep hill, but not always(?).

I've tested the gauge by grounding the plug. Gauge works in that regard.

I recently replaced the thermostat and took the opportunity to change out the temp sender unit. Used this part: TU241 https://www.autozone.com/engine-man...ture-switch-tu241/195656_0_0?searchText=TU241

Only thing I can think of is that this isn't the right sending unit. Any suggestions for troubleshooting this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Strange that blasting the heat makes the gauge go up. If anything, running the heat will make the gauge go down a little as you are drawing heat from the cooling system and transferring it to the cabin.

Strange that blasting the heat makes the gauge go up. If anything, running the heat will make the gauge go down a little as you are drawing heat from the cooling system and transferring it to the cabin.
Well it was probably a bit unique. Driving up a steep hill to Timberline Lodge ski resort at midnight in winter...
I guess I haven't tested it with AC since replacing the sensor because... winter :)

Turning on the defroster commands AC compressor engagement, regardless of temp setting

So my temp gauge / sensor on the dash has never really worked. 99% of the time it reads cold on the bottom. Doesn't budge ever. It will go up to the middle if I'm blasting heat and driving up a steep hill, but not always(?).

I've tested the gauge by grounding the plug. Gauge works in that regard.

I recently replaced the thermostat and took the opportunity to change out the temp sender unit. Used this part: TU241 https://www.autozone.com/engine-man...ture-switch-tu241/195656_0_0?searchText=TU241

Only thing I can think of is that this isn't the right sending unit. Any suggestions for troubleshooting this?
Previous discussion possibly relevant? water gauge temp sender

Back