• Register Today It's free!

Major Mileage Milestone!

apenland01

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer V8 4.6L
Well, after buying this Explorer brand new in 2005, I have to say I'm amazed it finally hit 200,000 miles on the original engine and original transmission! It's all gravy after this!

miles_explorer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

congratulations
my explorer is a 2004
and have only 35,000 km
Well, after buying this Explorer brand new in 2005, I have to say I'm amazed it finally hit 200,000 miles on the original engine and original transmission! It's all gravy after this!

miles_explorer.jpg

Question is, how are you getting over 17mpg? Mine tops out at 16.5mpg.

Question is, how are you getting over 17mpg? Mine tops out at 16.5mpg.

I put about 36,000 miles on this Explorer last year driving between Tucson, El Paso and Albuquerque, so its mostly highway miles and it skews the mpg calculations. It usually has between 17.0 - 18.5, depending on how many back to back trips I make.

The "service engine soon" light is just for the EGR valve, which needs to be cleaned. I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it all up about 6 months ago, but didn't do the EGR. So now the PCM sees the EGR as "low air flow", or something to that effect. It doesn't have any impact on how it runs that I can tell, so as long as I get it cleaned up before my next emissions test, I'm good.....

I can't for the life of me figure out how to post pics correctly in this forum, even though I upload them to the Elite Gallery.....

I use an app on my iPhone called Crop-Size. Make all my adjustments in the app and either upload from my phone, or send via email for using my computer.

I use an app on my iPhone called Crop-Size. Make all my adjustments in the app and either upload from my phone, or send via email for using my computer.

Thanks, I'll have to check out that app!

I am nearing 200,000 miles on my 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0, and she still runs like brand new! During times in which it's required ( not allowing the kid in the ricer car to cut you off ), and I WOT, she still screams down the road without batting an eye.

She still looks pretty darn good too!

hvE0a4Bl.jpg

These Explorers are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for.

I suggest using http://imgur.com, it has a much faster loading time than Photobucket, and doesn't have all of the advertisement clutter. They even have a mobile app for iPhone, and Android.

The key is good PM.

I am still searching for a 3rd gen myself. Never owned a 4.6L before. Whats the key secret to keeping a 4.6L healthy. Currently looking at one with 100K on the clock.

The 4.6, though smaller than the 5.0, has more power too. At least your version 5.0, not the new ones.

The 4.6, though smaller than the 5.0, has more power too. At least your version 5.0, not the new ones.

That would be the 302W (4.9L ford cheated calling it 5.0 :p ) (not to be confused with the new 5.0L coyote motor) The 302W makes more torque and lower end HP than the 4.6L modular/triton V8. The 4.6L likes higher rpms as it is a perfect square ratio of bore vs stroke. As proven by many it loves boost.

I am around 351W all summer (so many boats use them) and they are extremely simple, reliable, and small. (the 4.6L is physically BIGGER in every way compared to the 351W. 281cui vs 351cui in smaller package :p ) The 302W just has a shorter deck height than the 351W and maintains the same simpleness and reliability. Also they are dirt cheap to hop up compared to the 4.6L modular/triton engine. The only thing is the windsor design is from the 60s. (just a bit old but good)

I was going off the specs that Edmunds shows. And by smaller, I was referring to cubic inch, not physical size. Physically speaking, the mods are much more impressive to look at.

According to Edmunds: the 5.0 is rated for more torque.

2001 Ex 5.0:
Trq- 288' lbs
HP- 215

2002 Ex 4.6:
Trq- 282' lbs
HP- 239

I was going off the specs that Edmunds shows. And by smaller, I was referring to cubic inch, not physical size. Physically speaking, the mods are much more impressive to look at.

According to Edmunds: the 5.0 is rated for more torque.

2001 Ex 5.0:
Trq- 288' lbs
HP- 215

2002 Ex 4.6:
Trq- 282' lbs
HP- 239

Yes I know. The 302W makes more torque, HP is directly from from torque and rpm, so the more torque at lower rpm the more lower HP (better for cruising and towing). The 4.6L in our explorers are mustang motors that are de-tuned in the ECU by 20 hp and aluminum block instead of iron :)

preventative maintenance

Since I bought this Explorer, I changed the oil every 5k, even if it was less than 3 months. Used conventional oil up to about 180,000 miles or so, then switched to Valvoline Blend Max Life High Mileage 5w20.

The only major issues I've had with this Explorer is a crappy A/C system (I'm on my third full rebuild) and I replaced the intake manifold when I had an overheat and leak at about 150,000 miles. Other than that, it's really just been replacing wear items as needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back