Major Mileage Milestone! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major Mileage Milestone!

As of Oct 2013, the approx. price for a Ford Reman engine 4.0L V-6 with a full 3 years, parts and labor warranty, plus labor removal/installation at a Ford Dealership would run you around $5,000-$5,200. The reman engine by itself will run you around $3,200 plus any taxes. Prices may be higher today, but that is what my reman engine and install came to in Oct 2013.

Not quite sure where you shop...

2hpnhjk.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the belt, belt tensioner and all 3 idler pulleys replaced today and the engine sounds fantastic! I didn't realize how much noise was coming from the timing chains.....I guess you kind of get used to it until it changes dramatically. And the belt squeal / chirp was just annoying as hell.....

All the parts were Dayco "no slack" brand from Pep Boys. I've never heard of the brand, but it had good reviews and it was in stock and on sale. I paid ~$90 for all the parts with the 30% online order discount. Once I got the right tools from AutoZone, it was about a 45 minute job to replace everything.

The only challenge was getting the fan off, which was simple, once I got the "Ford Fan Clutch Tool" from AutoZone. I thought I could keep the water pump pulley still with my channel locks, but there wasn't enough room for the channel locks and a wrench to turn the nut on the fan.

Hopefully, I won't have any more major repairs this year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

P0401 Code gone

I got the EGR valve replaced last weekend and the P0401 code is gone and is still off after about 200 miles of driving. I used the Motorcraft EGR and it was $88 on rockauto, with basically free shipping with the 5% off coupon. It took about 5 minutes to replace.

I tried cleaning the EGR and resetting the PCM, but the SES light still came on after about 2 short trips around town.

Now I can pass the emissions test!

I got the EGR valve replaced last weekend and the P0401 code is gone and is still off after about 200 miles of driving. I used the Motorcraft EGR and it was $88 on rockauto, with basically free shipping with the 5% off coupon. It took about 5 minutes to replace.

I tried cleaning the EGR and resetting the PCM, but the SES light still came on after about 2 short trips around town.

Now I can pass the emissions test!

Did you take any pics of the process?

No, I didn't take pics, but it is very easy to do.

1. push the tab and remove the large connector plug on top
2. pull the connector that is on the side that looks like 2 small plugs
3. loosen the large nut on the exhaust tube on the bottom rear of the egr valve
4. loosen the 2 bolts holding the egr valve on the intake box and remove
5. put your new valve on, with metal gasket (raised part to intake box)
6. tighten 2 bolts, tighten large nut on exhaust tube
7. connect the plugs and you're done

Back