Windstar overhead console install in X! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windstar overhead console install in X!

zensius

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Hill, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4 dr. EB
Here's my latest project. It's from a Windstar van. I measured off my sister's and it should fit. I hope to fit my CB into it. It's the Cobra one that's all in the mouth piece. I'm hoping to fit it into one of the storage bins. It's also got a bunch of other stuff that should be cool. it seems to have a data center or something in the rear. Not sure, anybody?

" It comes with individual holders for coins, sunglasses, tissue and your garage door opener. And there’s even a built-in conversation mirror to help you keep an eye on what the kids are up to in the back. "I also hope to fill it full of switches for lights. I'll keep those who might be interested up to date when it shows up.

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,641

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That will be cool to see if it fits. How do those things mount up there anyways?

Happy trails!!

How the hell should I know how it mounts?:confused: But I figure it will mount easily at the dome light it replaces. And then I'll use short sheet metal screws at the windshield. Not really sure yet. But I'm as excited as sh@#!

Awesome. So, what all does it have. Temp, bearing, that type of stuff? How you going to get all that work?

Happy trails!!

zensius, if you need me to go outside and look at where the roof is thicker or whatever, i can for you.... considering there is no roof on my truck, i can look into where you can put screws etc without making holes on the other side

Thanks Jim! I'll let you know when I get it.

Well, it took me forever to finally get around to installing this thing but it turned out perfect! (IMO) It's got loads of space. The front space is just a faceplate that used to say 'Windstar'. But the box for my CB is mounted behind it. The socket to connect the all-in-one handpiece is in the seocnd area. The second area is a parabolic mirror for watching the whole inside of the car (for kids). I want to replace this with a small LCD screen maybe. The third is for coins. This one I'm going to put switches for lights. The fourth holds a pair of sunglasses, or my GPS. And the last is empty, but it's supposed to be for a garage door opener.
The install went pretty smooth. The rear mounted onto the original dome light bracket and the front I riveted on a metal plate that I then screwed the console to that. I had to do some reshaping of the mounting surface to make it match my roof, but not much. Then a little paint.

Attachments

• img_0026.jpg
    img_0026.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 5,946

Wow, that looks great man! So i guess your dome light works and stuff? The LCD screen, it has the temp and bearing right? I'd like to keep that option if i got this, wonder if that is possible?

That is fantastic! Great job and truly a one of a kind install. Well for now, untill someone else copys you. LOL

Wow!! Looks very very nice!!! Doesn't look it's an afterthought mod. Good job!!!

Thanks for all the reviews guys. I'm very happy with it. The LCD screen I wanted was an aftermarket one. Something to use for a backup or clearance camera. The stock one goes in the first spot where it used to say Windstar. I looked into one but the display is totally different colorwise than the rest of my gauges and I decided it wasn't worth the headache. It might be for someone else.

Ditto! Great job. Me likey!!

I contemplated installing a Windstar console but I didn't have the balls to try it. Good Job!!!

i almost wish i did not have a sunroof :)

if i could find one in green :(

I painted mine to match. It was easy. I bought the paint in a spray can from a body paint place.

Nice Job on the installation. Looks factory looking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Light hook-up Question?

I've installed overhead console from a Expedition.
I'll be moving my Air Switches up later.

For now I need to hook-up the lights. When I removed the old light I had 2 wires.

Green/Orange & Black/Blue.

I know that one is the ground the other is power which is which. I keep blowing fuses trying the hunting method.

Is there another way to ground & both are power? I wish I had a meter it would make thing alot easier.

Back