• Register Today It's free!

HU install in 2000 Ex

spabula

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT AWD 5.0L
I decided to install my new HU today in my 2000 Explorer and figured I would do a little write up on it. I decided to install a Blaupunkt M57 Hamburg, nothing fancy. I am actually only replacing because i am sick of driving around not being able to see what time it is. And the factory unit also stopped playing CD's as well. I bought everything from Crutchfield and they included all the harnesses and trim kit pieces.

First thing first, I removed the factory stereo using the included "U Tools". Simply insert the tools in the holes on the front sides of your stereo, Push them away from each other and pull the unit forward ( towards you ). Some Jiggling of the unit maybe necessary, but the unit should slide right out.

PICT0248.jpg

PICT0249.jpg

Disconnect the factory wiring harnesses and antenna.

PICT0250.jpg

You can now connect the new harness to your factory wiring. I had connected my wiring harness from Crutchfield to the stereo harness ahead of time according to the wiring diagrams included. I have a factory amp and sub in my truck and decided to keep it in use. Notice I did not use the one plug from the factory stereo, it is for the rear seat controls. For this particular stereo I also had to put a antenna adapter on, which the antenna just plugs into.

PICT0252.jpg

PICT0251.jpg

Next was to install the trim kit. The one i got has a pocket on it which can be installed in either position top or bottom. I chose to mount it on the top to keep my stereo away from the heat vents ( not that I know if this matters, but I figured I'd play it safe.). The trim kit required on of the snap in tabs to be broken off because it hits another piece behind the dash. I used a pair of needlenose to bend it until it snapped and then i filed it flat. Once this was complete I just snapped the piece into the stereo opening.

PICT0253.jpg

The trim kit came with what they called an ISO trim rim. It did not have to be used because the stereo has a trim ring. However, if it isnt used the stereo sits back fairly far. I decided i was going to use it, which required some gringing of the plastic with a dremel to enlarge the opening so the metal stereo sleeve would fit through it. Once completed with the grinding it is snapped in place and pulled the wiring through the opening.

PICT0255.jpg

Now the metal sleeve is installed through the opening and some of the metal tabs are bent outward to hold it in place. I used a screwdriver to do this. After that is complete, I connected the wiring plugs to the stereo as well as the antenna.

PICT0256.jpg

Finally I slid the unit into the sleeve until it locked in place

PICT0257.jpg

Now I have a nice shiny new stereo.

PICT0262.jpg

PICT0268.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think a couple people wanna buy your oem h/u - Nice switch. How's it sound?

Nice work and write up! :thumbsup:

Dan

I think a couple people wanna buy your oem h/u - Nice switch. How's it sound?

It sounds great. I didnt think my factory sub could sound any better. I bought a Rockford Fosgate 8" to replace it but haven't gotten to that yet. This unit is also Bluetooth enabled so I still have to hook up the mic if i decide to use it.

I finally put in my new sub last night. Sounds much better than the factory one. I wasn't sure of the volume of the factory enclosure (new sub recomended size = 0.23 cf ), but figured i would install it there anyway cuz I didnt really want a sub box in the back. I had to add a 1/2" MDF ring cuz this sub was deeper than the factory one and I plugged the factory bolt hole for the original sub with some JB weld putty.

PICT0274.jpg

PICT0276.jpg

PICT0278.jpg

I have the same install stuff from Crutchfield, do you or anyone know how hard it is to get the crutchfield bezel out once it is in. I have a sub and amp set up but I am not ready to put it in but I do want to hook up the new HU. I just wanted some advice on how to get it out again once it is in or if its not worth puting in yet. Thanks.

If you look through the pics you'll see how the HU slides into a metal sleeve (the sleeve comes with the HU ). You mount the sleeve into the plastic dash trim from Crutchfield. The HU can slide in and out of the sleeve with the removal tools. I mounted my HU ( as seen in pics ) and then later slid it back out to install the bluetooth mic and then out again to run a USB cable. Hope that helps.

I have the same install stuff from Crutchfield, do you or anyone know how hard it is to get the crutchfield bezel out once it is in. I have a sub and amp set up but I am not ready to put it in but I do want to hook up the new HU. I just wanted some advice on how to get it out again once it is in or if its not worth puting in yet. Thanks.
I have the same setup for a HU only. My problem is with keeping the HU in. If I it a bump or accelerate too fast the HU pops out. Any suggestions on a better bracket for a HU.

Do you have this?

I have the same setup for a HU only. My problem is with keeping the HU in. If I it a bump or accelerate too fast the HU pops out. Any suggestions on a better bracket for a HU.

This is a bracket from an old h/u single din. Do you have the bracket on your stereo? :cool:

This is a bracket from an old h/u single din. Do you have the bracket on your stereo? :cool:

I had that bracket on my factory HU and also with the new bezel but I didnt use either of them. When you put your new HU into the metal sleeve that came with it make sure all the tabs on the deck are bent in enough to take hold when you insert the HU. Also the metal sleeve on mine had tabs on the top and bottom to hold it to the bezel.

Nice write up! This will be helpful for me in the next week or so :)
This is weird- I was thinking of doing the same exact thing. I even have an almost identical explorer to you. Same color, interior, etc, except I have the premium not the audiophile system, and mine is all stock (for now)

It sounds like Mora0004 needs to make sure the braces are bolted in place AND use the brackets shown, including the one in the pic. There is no way that h/u should be bouncing around like that.

i know when i put my trim kit in with my pioneer HU, the the HU stayed in place, but the trim kit would pop out when i hit bumps, or the gas. what i did was pop out the radio bezel with every thing in it, put a piece of 1/8 inch round plastic (or round bar should work) in, but i re-bent the metal cage tabs for the HU around to the plastic that i installed. what it did was hold the trim piece tight to the radio bezel, then slid it back in, cage, trim, and radio bezel in one, and pulled the wires into the hole for the metal cage, and hooked everything back up. now it's nice and tight, and will not budge.

Is this a 2nd gen problem? I've never had that happen in any vehicle. Does it literally fall out of the compartment?

i don't think it is a problem with the 2nd gens, but the type of mounting kit that you have, and yes, mine literally came out of the opening. i was at a stop light, and needed to get over to the next lane, so when i stomped on it, it fell right out! luckily a caught it before it ripped out any wiring.

Incredible! That's a hazard... Well, at least you all have a solution to fix it. How about adding a bracket around the radio face itself, or just on the sides, which would be concealed behind the bezel? Nothing fancy, just like two small L brackets from a hardware shop...

here is my HU install. perfectly snug without extra brackets or the back bracket. I do wish it was about a quarter inch farther out from the dash but it will do.

2z524pu.jpg

Nice! You would like it to be flush with the bezel opening? That would look great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! You would like it to be flush with the bezel opening? That would look great!

Yea if it stuck out a little more than it does now it would be perfect but I like it enough to leave it the way it is. Thanks.

Back