Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

Clicking sound from under vehicle (97 5.0 AWD)

Old 05-27-2003, 10:24 PM   #1
Mike T
Greensboro, NC
'97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Clicking sound from under vehicle (97 5.0 AWD)

I have a 97 5.0 AWD with ~85,000 on the odo. If the windows are down or a door is open I can hear a nasty clicking/ticking metallic noise coming from under the body when the Ex is rolling slowly while idling. It seems to be coming from the area of the transfer case. I suspect (hope) it is a universal joint, but there seems to be no play if I tug on the driveshafts. Any ideas?
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-27-2003, 10:34 PM   #2
SaleenEXP
Boca Raton, Fl.
Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

If you can hear the ticking sound while going slowly or under throttle, it's the famous 5.0 tick, the stock manifolds suck and start slowly leaking causing the sound your hearing. Nobody makes headers for the Explorer any more, and you won't be able to find any FMS headers unfortunatley.

Time to mod that engine, drop in a new cam, custom headers, and full exhaust......no more tick and a lot more power along with much lighter wallet though, but you'll love that 5.0 rumble in it's raw form, heh.

However, that ticking sound never sounded really metallic to me, actually I guess it can sound pretty tinny or metallic depending on how severe your leaking is, our 97' 5.0 Mountaineer started to develop the tick around the mileage your at, the 5.0 Mountaineer my mom has now is at about 40,000 miles and it has no ticking sound.

Try pulling up next to a wall or pass a building, if you hear that annoying tick echo off the wall, I'm pretty sure it's your manifolds, should get slightly louder with more throttle etc.

Last edited by SaleenEXP; 05-27-2003 at 10:42 PM.
SaleenEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 08:22 AM   #3
Mike T
Greensboro, NC
'97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Nope, it's not the manifolds. I know because they off-course are ticking too . But this is a very different noise, from a different area. (Actually the engine could be off and I could still hear this tick if it were rolling).
Old 05-28-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
SaleenEXP
Boca Raton, Fl.
Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike T
Nope, it's not the manifolds. I know because they off-course are ticking too . But this is a very different noise, from a different area. (Actually the engine could be off and I could still hear this tick if it were rolling).
Thats what I was wondering, I have no idea what could be ticking after shut off as non of ours have ever did that, and the ticking sound from the manifolds never sounded metallic to me.....could be something more serious to keep ticking after you shut the engine off, weird?

Somebody else might be able to chime in because I have no clue what could be making that metallic sound after shut off?

Can you pinpoint where the sound is mainly comming from?
SaleenEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 09:31 AM   #5
Mike T
Greensboro, NC
'97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
It sounds like it is coming from either the front or rear drive shaft U-joints, or the transfer case (I hope it's not the latter). It makes the sound when the vehicle is rolling. I did a search and found a few old posts referring to this exact sound, but the cause was never identified.

BTW, whatever it is, other than the sound there seems to be no other problems, it drives fine.

Last edited by Mike T; 05-28-2003 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
Mike T
Greensboro, NC
'97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
The more I think about it the more I think it sounds just like a dissintigrated ball bearing (that crunchy, crackly, clicking noise). I guess it could still be a bad u-joint, but if thats not it, it probably something like a transfer case output shaft bearing (although the output shaft seal is not leaking). Has anyone ever openened their AWD case. Is it readily serviceable? Anyone out there have this same sound?
Old 05-28-2003, 10:25 AM   #7
Holty
Elite Explorer
Pittsburgh, PA
'99 Explorer XLT AWD V8

Vehicle Specs

sorry, i don't have any input to help but keep us updated Mike.

http://members.cardomain.com/holty
Holty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 04:39 PM   #8
V8BoatBuilder
Transplanted Bostonian
East Brunswick, NJ

97 Mountaineer V8 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Check your tires for rocks.

I'm serious. I have the same exact powertrain, and had a tick that was rather annoying when I was rolling. It turned out to be a rather good sized pebble lodged in the tread. You may need to roll the vehicle to check all around the tires, it's worth a shot.

On Road: 2006 VW Jetta TDI/6spd DSG. Fill it with diesel, please.
Octopus Yachts, LLC Engineered Marine Electrical Systems
V8BoatBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 09:07 AM   #9
5.0Dad
Elite Explorer
Kennewick, WA
'96 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

I've been hearing a similar sound (like B.B.'s in a hubcap). Really notice it in drive a through but I was thinking it was coming from the breaks like something dragging. Any thoughts on it being out at the corners?

More than I can afford, but less than I want!
5.0Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 01:20 PM   #10
V8BoatBuilder
Transplanted Bostonian
East Brunswick, NJ

97 Mountaineer V8 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hmm... Well my click is back, and this time there are no rocks in my tires. It's not brakes either, since I just did all four wheels, with everything new except for calipers.

It sounds like the driver's side, comming from either under my feet (T-case, Trans, U-joint) or the wheels.

I will keep everyone posted to what I find. In a few weeks I'm installing new t-bar adjusters(the kevlar patch), as well as getting around the my slip yoke.

I'm also installing a bunch of Baumann parts in my 4r70w. If the t-case does go, well it looks like I have an excuse to finally give myself some 4 low

On Road: 2006 VW Jetta TDI/6spd DSG. Fill it with diesel, please.
Octopus Yachts, LLC Engineered Marine Electrical Systems
V8BoatBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 07:52 PM   #11
Mike T
Greensboro, NC
'97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0Dad
I've been hearing a similar sound (like B.B.'s in a hubcap). Really notice it in drive a through but I was thinking it was coming from the breaks like something dragging. Any thoughts on it being out at the corners?
Wheel bearings or CV Joints???

If it is most noticable when the steering wheel is turned, it's the CV Joints.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:43 AM   #12
5.0Dad
Elite Explorer
Kennewick, WA
'96 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

There isn't any thing else to make me think it's wheel bearings, no vibrations and everythings tight, but at 80k it's probably time to repack before the next road trip. The last time I checked, u-joints are tight and the sound doesn't change or happen when turning.

More than I can afford, but less than I want!
5.0Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:37 AM   #13
Bottomlesspit
Del Rio, TX
'05 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Since this seems to be a popular topic...for ALL kinds of clicking sounds......I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
I had a clicking sound that drove me crazy. It sounded like it was coming from under the hood/front area, but I could not find anything no matter how hard I tried.
One day it was real windy and my truck was facing into the wind...and I heard the sound!!!
After searching for awhile I finally found the culprit. Came to find that the black plastic flap that covers over the headlight area on each side likes to vibrate with the wind (the flap you lift up to see behind the headlight). It vibrated just perfectly to sound like a clicking noise...almost metallic! I screwed in a couple of black trim screws into each one and no more noise!!!
Just thought I'd share. Except for that perfect parking job into the wind...I would still be searching!!!
Ken
Bottomlesspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:01 PM   #14
tersian
It won't stop snowing, raining, burning in my part of Pennsylvania
97 Mountaineer AWD 5.0

Vehicle Specs

I've got the same under rig ticking noise. I was wondering what you found out if anything.
tersian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #15
Derek
miami, fl
1998 Ford Explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

can the famous 5.0 ticking noise happen to a 4.0 also? when i put the truck in park and the radio off i hear a fast ticking noise maybe its normal engine noise just really only noticed it yesterday

Upcoming Project:
Spark plugs and wires, Running boards
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:03 PM   #16
Mike T
Greensboro, NC
'97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally posted by tersian
I've got the same under rig ticking noise. I was wondering what you found out if anything.
The noise is still there, and just keeps sounding nastier and nastier. I am 95% sure it is inside the transfer case. The only way to know for 100% sure, is to jack up the truck on four jack-stands, put it in drive with the engine running, and listen to the transfer case housing with a stethescope (keep your body away from the rotating tires ). I plan on trying that before I order the new Remanufactured case (~$1,000 w/ new Viscous Coupler from what I have found).
Old 08-21-2003, 04:05 PM   #17
JMoore
McKinney, Texas
97 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Oh Yeah

I know what you are talking about. To fix my problem I replaced my halfshafts in front, ( because they broke. And what I found was it was the front driveshaft no joke if you take it out you will see the part that bolts up to your t-case slides in and out. And when your car is moving or at speed it sounds like a tick because the metal clasp taps the reciever to the t-case just enough to tick. I had to buy a new one from ford $265.00 because they are supposed to be nonrebuildable units!!!
And I have rebuilt the t-case, while I was at it. you may want to check the fluid in the t-case as well.
Hope this helps.

Jared:
JMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 06:42 PM   #18
Hokie
Hokius Maximus
Denver, CO

'98 TJ Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dad's 5.0 Mounty just started doing this too.... transfer case seems to be the suspect

Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:29 PM   #19
5.0 Mountaineer
Long Island, NY
97 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mike T I have the same exact noise you are talking about. I haven't had a chance to check it out but I think its the u-joints. I dont think its the clamps on the halfshaft because it is a constant noise. Also its definatly not a pebble in the tire because if you roll slowly and pop it into neutral you know longer hear the noise. I also no its not the manifolds. The only two things it could be is the transfer case or the ujoints. Keep me posted if you find out what it is
5.0 Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 09:26 PM   #20
explr1
Wappingers Falls, NY
2005 PONTIAC G6 GT

Vehicle Specs

Could it be the heat shield on the transmisson next to the catalytic converter? Mine was making a ticking noise, especially in gear, low speed and while turning the wheel. I tightened the clamps on the shield and it went away.

My 2005 G6

My old Explorer
explr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page