• Register Today It's free!

Fog Lights

Perrin

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I have a 2000 XLS full time 4-Wheel. The only thing that I cannot stand about it is that the fog lights only work when the headlights are on. Anyone know an easy fix to get the fog lights to run independently on their own switch. They have there own switch now but do not work independently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search for it....You will need a relay. There are threads about it here...

Welcome to the site!

To your question, can't you turn the fog lights on with just the parking lights on? I know the '99-'01 models can do that without the headlights on.

Same with my '95. I can only turn the fog lights on with the headlights, but I want to turn the fogs on with just the parking lights on....

Reason is... the hot wire is wired into the lowbeam wire in the column, when you switch to high beam they turn off as not to overload circuit, I believe it is a yellow wire in the column. You could disconnect power sorce there and run separate switch.

totally unheadlight related.

Where'd you get the name Perrin?

there is a thread that tells how to change the wiring connection at the relay so the lights work off the fog light switch when ever the parking lights are on. It works as i used the instructions to do it to mine. However, Some states inspections laws don't allow this.

i hate that when you turn your high beams on, the fogs go off.

Originally posted by Perrin
I have a 2000 XLS full time 4-Wheel. The only thing that I cannot stand about it is that the fog lights only work when the headlights are on. Anyone know an easy fix to get the fog lights to run independently on their own switch. They have there own switch now but do not work independently.

??? Question...I didn't know ford made a full time 4 wheel drive. Have i been in the blue or is this a late gen II thing....Somebody please tell me before i go nuts...

Re: Re: Fog Lights

Originally posted by explorer4x493

??? Question...I didn't know ford made a full time 4 wheel drive. Have i been in the blue or is this a late gen II thing....Somebody please tell me before i go nuts...

Think "4x4 Auto"--only the V8 AWD was a full-time 4wd (and the V8 wasn't/isn't available on the XLS).

These were the instructions i used to rewire my 97 XLS. taxxman2k gave this reply in another thread...... AHHHH HA! I found it! I am going to go ahead and detail my experience to help anyone in the future! I called a few dealershps and got a few different answers, so I had to look some more for myself. On the 97 (so I assume 95 +) the relay is mounted on the same plate that the air filter box is! You have to remove the air filter box to get to it but that isn't hard. Now to by pass it: 1) remove cover and bottom to expose the wires. (it is the small one toward the fenderwall) 2) which wires are what: BK/Y = Constant 12v
T/O = 12v swithed(by relay) to fog lamps
DB/LG = 12v switch (when this comes on the relay switches on the lights)
LB/BK = Ground - goes to instrument panel switch, then to ground
3) cut the DB/LG wire
4) connect a new wire to it about 12" long
5) cnnect this wire to the brown wire coming off the parking lamp assembly (that's the + for the parking lamps)
6) test it!
7)close it all up and roll!

How this setup works:
the relay is a switch that is "turned on" when power is directed to it. It then takes and directs power to the fog lamps. the way the switch is integrated to this is fairly simple. The ground wire from the relay does not go directly to the ground, it goes to the switch. The switch then controlls whether or not the relay can have a ground. So when the switch is on (allowing ground) and the parking lamps are on (sending the + side) the relay flips the switch and "POOF" you have light!
I hope I explained it well. I used the factory wiring because it is already 18-20 gauge and the lights came with no relay and wiring of similar gauge and the same size fuse, so I figured what the heck... But, please be careful when doing this and use the appropriate relay and wire gauge.

Edit 7/16/02 - Lost photo. however photo was just the location of the relay box. If you stand at the font of the truck and look at the air filter box. Then, move down to the mount for the box and look at the right (toward drivers side) of that mount there is a little box with wires going into it. That is the relay box.

Guys I too used taxxman's instructions and it works perfectly!...it takes about 1/2 hour to complete

D

So let me get this straight cause I'm a little lost... I take the wire between the fogs and the relay and cut that wire (should be light blue?) and then take the wire connected to the relay and connect that to the parking light wire?

Yes....that is exactly the procedure....the only thing I am unsure of is the EXACT color of your wiring...careful!...it could be different ....mine was the DB/LG...and even though the color was correct, i still tested it with a circuit tester to make sure it was the right wire.......

D

Thanks DVS I will be sure to double check...

Originally posted by Perrin

I thought this was only true for Pre-'99s. "99 and up, you can run the fogs w/the parking lights.... I can't see Ford changing for one year, then changing back. Maybe you have a short or a misconnected wire....

Re: Re: Re: Fog Lights

Originally posted by blichy

Think "4x4 Auto"--only the V8 AWD was a full-time 4wd (and the V8 wasn't/isn't available on the XLS).

So what are you saying. Are you saying that Auto means full time. Cuz i know that doesn't. Or are you saying that AWD (all wheel drive) means full time. I don't know about that one.

Originally posted by Nick C.
totally unheadlight related.

Where'd you get the name Perrin?

Perrin comes from a book that I am reading. Just a name that I liked.

Hey DVS... I'm getting conflicting reports here about this problem. Taxxman told me to cut the wire between the HEADLIGHTS and the relay, not the one between the FOG lights and the relay. I don't want my fogs to work independently of everything, I just want to be able to turn my fogs on with the parking lights.

By the way DVS.... how did you do that cool thing with your taillights????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Mike,

technically the place to cut the wire is between the relay box and the headlights and fog lights, since both are at the front of the vehicle.....

I dont want to further add to the confusion,

So the key is locating the correct wire comming out of the relay box...again on mine it was Dark blue/Light green........once assured that you have the right wire,

snip that baby about 6 inches from where it is comes out of the relay box. tape off the loose end that is now dangling from the front of the vehicle.

The end that is comming from the relay box is the one that gets spliced with an additional length of wire and ultimately with terminate on the brown positive wire of the parking light assembly....

If I am not clear, by all means fire away on any questions!....I want to make sure this is a success for you......when I did mine I was thrilled with results!

D

Back