Official Moab 2004 Chitchat Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Official Moab 2004 Chitchat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, let me be the first to subscribe :D

"Only" 106 days until May 21st

Dang thats a long time to wait. I have been ready for moab ever since last Thanksgiving :D I am going the 21 of this month for one day just to test out the new mods ;)

Allright, lets do it!!! :burnout: I need a locker like this smilie.;)

I have been in Russia for two cold, long years, with no off-road experiences (althought some Russian on-road experinces can be just as thrilling). I am soooo ready for an explorer run to moab. I went with the group in 2000 and can't wait to do it again.

I guess its my turn to sign up.

OKay so Chit Chat about Moab trip this year....
Who is staying where?

Also are there any other big groups going that weekend?

And who would like to do what trails?

Are we there yet?

You know I always wanna do at least one trail that I haven't yet, and I'm running out :D .... Flat Iron Mesa and Hey Joe Canyon are about all I haven't run from the Wells book (besides Pritchett Canyon which is way over my vehicle's capabilities). If someone goes to EJS this year(hvacman?), maybe they could do a trail at EJS that is not in the Wells book and then lead that one during our run... (?)

I'll probably camp at Canyonlands if I come alone; or stay at Silver Sage Hotel if Ashli is able to join me.

so . . . . Pritchett Canyon and Behind The Rocks? :D

Gerald what are some of the trails you have run that many dont really know about that you would recommend? (less popular and talked about trails)

Originally posted by Brother_of_Jefe
so . . . . Pritchett Canyon and Behind The Rocks? :D

Well, you guys are showing up, and if some of those crazy Texans make it, I have a feeling that those two trails might very well end up on the schedule :roll: :D

Originally posted by 410Fortune
Gerald what are some of the trails you have run that many dont really know about that you would recommend? (less popular and talked about trails)

Jamie, I've tried to make an effort once I run a trail to work it into the next Explorer run, so most of the trails have been run by someone else in our group too. For example that's what I did after I ran Metal Masher and Elephant Hill, they ended up on one of the next Explorer runs.

I do think I'm still the only one who has run Rose Garden Hill. It's a different way to the Top of the World but most of the trail difficulty is fairly ho-hum besdies that Hill, though the scenery is different and quite interesting. An alternate entry to Rose Garden Hill could be Thompson Canyon which I believe none of us have done yet, so that would make the next modified group to go to the Top of the World do it via two new trails and make it a daylong trip (Thompson Canyon/ Rose Garden Hill/ Top of the World). The only problem I see with that is that many of us have gone to Top of the World so much that there may not be much interest in it, even though the approach would cover two new trails to get there.

I also believe no one else has yet done Moab Rim and there's plenty of us now with vehicles capable of doing it. I guarantee you that you will be neither disappointed nor bored if you want to try that one. :D

I updated my Moab Trail Report after last fall's event; it's located as the last post in http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=86013 You can read that and come up with your own ideas and interests.

I'd like to consider doing one of the 3+ - 4 rated EJS trails that are not in the Charles Wells book if someone can find them and pre-run them, that would be a change of pace for our group.

I have run a few of the trails that are not mentioned in the Wells book. I would say lower proving grounds is posible for most hard core SASed explorers but if you don't have a winch I wouldn't stray too far from the trails in the book. Prichett is a definate must do for the explorer group :) I don't think anyone here would like to do upper/ lower heldo unless you just want to trash your riggs but then again .... ;) I have been on most trails in Moab either as passenger or driver. I ran behinde the rocks over Thanksgiving this year and would say it is a trail the big dawg explorers should consider if you have not yet done it . I have some pics of behind the rocks if anyone wants me to post them, as for lower proving grounds we ran it at night so pics were not that great if you know what I mean :D

Another good hardcore trail for the Extreme SAS guys to consider would be Rusty Nail, from what I've heard. I love Golden Spike and wouldn't mind doing it yet again; one group could run the Spike while another goes up Rusty Nail and we could meet at the Golden Crack. :)

I may want to ride passenger with one of you guys if you decide to do one of the crazy trails :)

I just looked at the EJS schedule and Strike Ravine is a 3+ trail that looks interesting and is not in the Wells book.

It seems that Upper and/or Lower Helldorado now have sections on private land that has been gated closed, so those trails may be gone now. From what I've heard, long wheelbase vehicles like ours can pretty much plan on getting creamed on those trails anyway.

I think I am going out to Moab this weekend, work permitting, I will try and check out any trails that I have not run that anyone here would be interested in running. Just let me know and I'll at least try and hike it and take pics. There is a bunch of snow down there right now so I might not be able to run some things. I'll let you know later in the week if I am able to go.

Clint

signing up as well.

Clint, Strike Ravine is a 3+ trail; would you be interested in trying to locate it and map/check it out to see if it would be worth running?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SNOW??? I would think that would makeit more fun!

I loved wheeling in light snow on the trails in CO....

can you tell I am starting to miss the snow already? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back