00 4.0 OHC dripping coolant from rear of right head, no chocolate milk in the pan.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

00 4.0 OHC dripping coolant from rear of right head, no chocolate milk in the pan....

Larry Hampton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT 2wd
Replace just the head gaskets? Or heads too?

My daughter called me Wednesday, said Kevin's (what she calls her white xlt 2wd) temp gauge is pointing to H. She's about a mile from her destination (summer college course, gross anatomy). I told her to turn the heat on full blast and park it once she gets there, class is over at 6 and I'll come look at it.

Well, se gets out early and heads back to her place, no water added. Parks it and leaves it, drives a loaner car the next day. I go look at it Thursday, add a gallon of 50/50, then 1/2 gallon of water, hear dripping on the floor of the garage. Dripping from between the block and tranny. I told her to go straight to my house and park it.

Added 1.5 gallons of water this morning, leaking from the base of the passenger head at the rear. Oil is fine. Ordinarily, I'm a do it right the first time guy, I'd replace both heads with rebuilt ones and go on down the road. The issue is time and money (& heat!! It's hot in Oklahoma working in the driveway!!)

Easiest I figure I can do is pull that head, check for straightness and cracks, and if okay, pull the other, do the same and do both gaskets and back together. I am not looking forward to thus, I have two other cars down in the driveway that need attention too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you taken a look at the thermostat housing and sensors yet? If not, take a look at that first - it could be leaking there, pooling up in the valley, and running down the back of the block.

If you pull the heads, the engine will have to be retimed. Most folks use the OTC toolkit ($150+). It is possible (but risky) to make do without them.

While you're in there, you should pull the front timing cover and inspect / replace the jackshaft timing components and left camshaft timing components if necessary.

I did the t-stat housing on my 03 Sport Trac 4.0, is it much the same?

I'm sorry, it's an overhead valve engine, that should make it easier and should eliminate the T-stat housing problem, correct?

Back