• Register Today It's free!

01 SOHC 4.0L - P0171 and P0174

kd_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
BLM, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
I did the best I could at searching and reading old topics regarding the Lean bank 1 and 2 codes, but it sounds like my truck might not be the same problem as the well documented 00M12 intake leak.

- 2001 Explore, 4.0L SOHC engine, 94,000 miles
- Problems - rough idle / surging and recently started to throw P0171 and P0174 codes.
- Trucks history, no real problems, just regular maintance. I have had to replace the DPFE twice though. Still has original O2's and MAF.

Most of the posts that I see talk about the intake gaskets being fixed around the 2001 time frame. The truck seems to always start OK, even in the cold. This just makes me wonder if it really is the intake gaskets or not. And the surging idle has been there for at least the past 30-40,000 miles too (it's the wife's truck :) ). No real change on that one either.

I have given all of the vacuum hoses and lines a visual check and they all seem to be OK. The MAF looks clean without and oil or gunk on the wires (no K&N on this truck, just paper elements). Any thoughts as to something else to go after?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know if an '01 SOHC had the intake gasket O-ring fix from the factory?

I have a 99 4.0L SOHC w/86,000 on it and had the same problems you spoke of with the same codes. It wouldn't let me pass emissions. I had the MAFS replaced. The surging/rough idling I was told was from a vacuum leak from the intake manifold gasket, orings. They replaced it and it took care of the problem. Good Luck.

i have got the same symptoms as KD. please post if you can figure it out.

Back