01 Sport, P171, P174, hard starting, fixed! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport, P171, P174, hard starting, fixed!

brckss2

Reaction score
City, State
nashua, nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
I bought this explorer last year, the check engine light was on and the previous owner said it had been on for over a year. I checked it and it was
P171,P174 , lean banks. I reasearched the issue and found the recall for the intake, bought the kit, put it in, still check engine light came back on. The truck ran fine so it was just a nuisanse......

It was also hard starting, requiring a 4 second crank, stop, then it would start normally. I checked fuel pressure and got 28psi and it would leak down after 5 minutes. That explained the hardstarting, the check valve in the fuel pump was shot, and the pressure was at the low end.

I replaced the fuel pump in the tank, hard starting went away. I also reset the 171 and 174 codes and the check engine light stayed off.

Everything was fixed by replacing the fuel pump.

I have the same problem in my 99 XLT, I've been putting it off for awhile... I was pretty sure replacing the fuel pump would fix it but now I know for sure, thanks.

I turn the key on/off a few times before cranking to prime the fuel system. The fuel pump runs for about 2 seconds when you turn the ignition to the run position.

Back