• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport Trac won't go into 4wd

Paulyester

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Hi guys, I'm a new member as of last night when I found an 01 Sport Trac for a steal. Its got an intermittent case of the O/D light flashing, but currently shifts fine, but he other problem I'm trying to solve is the lack of 4x4.

I'm not sure what transfer case I have, but my switch is 2wd-4Hi-4Lo. When I turn the switch to Hi or Lo, I get nothing, no lights, sounds or anything. I tried tapping on the motor on the transfer case (what's the official term for this?)thinking there might be a solenoid stuck or something, still nothing.

In reading some posts, I here there is a 4x4 Control Module that I need to check the connections on. Does this apply to my transfer case? Does someone have come pictures of where that would be located?

If that doesn't solve anything, can I easily remove the electric motor from the transfer case, turn the switch, and see something moving if that is working correctly?

Thanks for the help guys :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing? Can someone point me to which transfer case I have?

I'm not really qualified for these questions and haven't dealt with these issues myself yet but I'll respond with what i remember from reading on here. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

You're on the right track for the transfer case. BW1354

The transmission is likely on it's last leg though. The flashing OD is a death signal I believe.

the 4X4 module is behind the kick plate on the passenger side of the truck. check the connectons for corrosion and there is also ground points down towards the floor behind the kick plates check those for tightness and corrosion.

your on the right path looking for the module since you hear nothing at all. if you turn the switch and hear a relay click then the module is functional and the motor is likely the culprit.

as far as i know its the borg warner 1354 transfer case

Yes, you can remove the shift motor from the transfer case and manually move the selector pin, but you'll need pliers. There will be resistance until you feel it click into place.

I would recommend doing it with the entire vehicle in the air so you can check the four wheel operation without needing to drive it.

Thanks for the info guys. I will do some work this weekend and see what I can find. The lights come on on the dash when I start it, so at least I know the lights are working. I've read a lot about the 4x4 Control Module, but it was all regarding 2002 ST's, some of which were implied had AWD. I wasn't sure if the BW1354 needed a control module because its just a simple 2wd/4wd case.

I'll let you guys know what I find, maybe the next person will have less work.

all first gen tracs (01-05) have the BW1354E the module would be needed for any "E" model due to the electrical components the module takes the electrical signal from the switch and sends it through a relay and then to the electrical motor on the transfer case. the point of the module is to process the signal and in turn change polarity and duration according to the position you switch to (4hi, 4lo, etc.)

Im having the same issues.
Does anyone know the cause of the module mal###tion? Or just corrosion? Can it be repaired, or is replacement the only option

Had the flashing o/d light on my 86 Aerostar and on my 95 Explorer...save your dollars..it's the kiss of death.

the OD light is out of my realm though my brother had an 02 and now an 03 superduty both had the flashing OD light and mustang is right its the tran's way to show you its having issues. be prepared to replace the trans. as for the 4x4 module if its not corrosion issues then yes it will be a replaced unit.

Im having the same issues.
Does anyone know the cause of the module mal###tion? Or just corrosion? Can it be repaired, or is replacement the only option

I read a very interesting thing on the internet (so you know its true) this weekend while doing my research. An electrical engineer claimed to tear the control module apart and in the circuit board, its programmed to fail at 100,000 miles. Interesting if true.

As far as the flashing O/D, from what I've read, its caused most often and at least in my case by the EPC solenoid in the transmission. From my understanding, you can replace the whole valve body with from Rock Auto for around $150 if I remember correctly.

Don't quote me on any of this, just sharing what I'm learning as I scour the internet.

I had a similar problem. I had the blinking O/D light intermittently for about 8 months and then I started noticing shift flares. After a couple months of that I couldn't stand it anymore and took it to my repair shop. It was diagnosed as most likely the solenoid pack. It's been a while so I can't exactly remember what the diagnosis was exactly. I was still towing a good bit back then though so I ended up with a Jasper transmission instead. Not really what you wanted to hear I'm sure but Paulyester might be right in that you can put in a new solenoid pack and be good to go.

Back