02 Explorer A/C issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer A/C issues

chevato

Reaction score
When the ac is turned on it only blows from the defrost vents? I know its a vacuum problem but what do I look for. and is there a thread on here I saw one for an 01 explorer is it the same for an 02?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having the same issue. How hard of fix is this? Should I take it somewhere or could the average guy do it?

I'm having the same problem and I don't find any vacuum diagram under the hood on my 02 Limited. Would it be anywhere else?

Thank you for the welcome. I went to Autozone.com and could not find a place where it shows the vacuum diagram. If you meant the vehicle repair guides, the most recent date is 2000. Any other ideas?

There's no Ford listed. Just Acura, Chevrolet, Honda, and Pontiac.

I have an 02 XLS. Only hot air blowing when the A/C should be on. Fan works and the A/C button light is on. Had leak before and had it filled last year. Since I'm unemployed, what is my cheapest way to get A/C? What is the freon number for an 02? Has anyone used the refill cans from KMART or AUTOZONE?

I bought a kit and a Chilton book on the 02 Explorer. The book says that I have to have the clutch engaged at all times to do a refill of freon. To do that, the book states that I need a jumper wire, but it doesn't say how to, or where to connect the wire.

I have managed to get some R134a into the system and I am getting a slight bit of cooling. That took about 15 minutes. With the clutch going on and off every 2 seconds, I can't tell from the guage on the refill connector hose, what the pressure actually is as the guage needle keeps bouncing back and forth each time the clutch cycles on and off. Any suggestions?

Remove the low pressure cycling switch electrical connector from the switch, and insert the jumper wire into the connector to keep the compressor clutch engaged while refilling it with R134A freon.

Do you have any pictures, to make sure I'm working on the correct switch and the correct way to put on the jumper wire. I'm a real novice at this, so I need a step by step explaination, please.

Thanks!

Here are some pictures from Glacier991's photo gallery:
15286DSCN5795.jpg

15286DSCN5797.jpg

15286DSCN6056.jpg

When the ac is turned on it only blows from the defrost vents? I know its a vacuum problem but what do I look for. and is there a thread on here I saw one for an 01 explorer is it the same for an 02?
Vacuum line connection on a/c vacuum reservoir inside on passenger side, on firewall, probably kicked loose. Write if you can't find it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brooklyn Bay - Thanks so much for the great information on this thread. Question regarding the pictures and the jumper wire. I assume that the wire should go from the positive post to the inside of the disconnected switch, right? If so, does it matter which part of the switch the wire connects to? Any advice on how to connect the jumper wire to the switch? I'm just a little paranoid about blowing something. Thanks!

Back