02 Explorer A/C question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer A/C question

iamweasel

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Our 02 V6 Explorers A/C wasnt pumping any cool air so I tested the pressure and found when the compressor got up to 45 it clicked off and the pressure dropped to 22 and then it just repeats the process. As I've little dealt with A/C problems Im hoping someone can tell me if its the pressure switch or something along those lines.
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might be low on freon I had that happen to me once was getting warm air at vents and ac was cylicing on and off the compressor.

Recharged it and it cured it.

When it comes to ac tho I don't mess around I rather have a pro look at it.

Best of luck

Hey Blackout I am new to this thread/forum. I am having a problem. When you turn my mode selector switch to ac it only blows out the defrost vent. MY mechanic told me it was the heat/ac blend door. I thought that door only worked the temp from hot to cold. Do you have any advice. Thanks Scott

Thank you very much, I'll add some freon and see it that fixes it. I wouldnt have touched my ac either, I wanted to be prepared for an "OMG" repair bill or a "meh not bad one.

Amen to that brother!
I never mess with ac bro because alot of the times if you over fill or if the high side is way to high the valve you can mess up compressor whole nine yards!
Let me know how it goes brother!

1scott usually if its your blend door sometimes you would hear a clicking noise
Did your mechanic ever fix it?
Sometimes can be a vacuum leak where one of your vacuum lines can be unplugged or came loose

Happened to me once I was doing 80km an hour and had no ac coming thru vents but it was coming thru the front ones near the window
Checked everything and seen a vacuum line unplugged reconnected it issue resolved

If I was you bro get a 2nd opinion and go from there ok ?

Well she wouldnt take any coolant, so I jumped the low pressure switch wires, the compressor stayed on and I had cool air fairly quickly. Only had half a can of coolant which it took, but evidently it wasn't enough, once the switch was hooked back up the compressor did the run for 4 seconds shut off for 4 seconds routine again. Going to grab another can tomorrow.

Thanks Blackout, once it got enough coolant in it, it ran on its own, so I filled it and she works great!
Thanks to all who posted in the differing A/C threads that helped me get through it.

Well I did it, I checked and found out that the pin or clip that connected the door to the actuator was missing, and as almost everyone has stated it fell into the abyss. So I took a piece of plastic coated number 12 electrical wire and fed it through the hole and twisted it. It seems to work perfectly and not foul anything with the area of the actuator. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, that the door hinge was not broken. Until next problem, Thanks to all that assisted me. Scott

Back