02 Sport Trac P0401

spidermonkey1187

Reaction score
City, State
Ridgecrest, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Sport Trac 2WD
Hey Everyone,

Recently our Sport Track popped a P0401 "EGR flow low or insufficient" code. Originally I figured this would be an easy fix but I have been quite mistaken. This thing just will not go away here is what we have done to troubleshoot this:

R/R DPFE sensor, R/R EGR Vacuum regulator, applied vacuum to EGR Diaphram and the engine almost died (the manual says to apply about 5 HG to do this), removed and reinstalled the EGR tube (cleaned it out as well), ran vehicle without EGR tube installed to attempt to blow out debris, cleaned upper intake manifold, cleaned IAC, cleaned MAF, replaced upper intake manifold seals, cleaned throttle body, zip tied every vacuum line that I could find, with a multimeter I have read out every signal and ground wire associated with all of the elements of the system up to the PCM (IAW 2002 Wiring Diagrams from the Ford Motor Company), replaced the DPFE sensor connector. The only thing I found interesting when reading wires is that when back probing the DPFE sensor to watch the signal strength change as the vehicle warms up I didn't really notice a change at all. The method I use to read wires is pin to pin not pin to ground.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated Thanks in advance!

Back