• Register Today It's free!

'02 v6 to '06 v8 swap

Motoman03

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 ltd supercharged v8
Hey everyone. I've a 2002 that I'm already in the process of modifying. Now its time for the engine, tranny and transfer case. Ive lifted it and put bigger tires and abuse the hell out of it well now i have no second or overdrive. Along with puffing some smoke when i start it up. So I'm one of those guys that guy **** on instinct and for some reason i ended up buying a new 4.6 v8, 6 speed tranny and engine wiring along with an ecu. but its all for a 2006. I know there's a lot of issues doing this. Like all the wiring and it also is drive by wire. My intention for buying the 2006 vs doing the older model. One is the 6 speed tranny, and second I have the opportunity to put the awesome top mount Saleen supercharger on it. But for now i just want to get it up and running and let the supercharger sit in the box for now.

I"m going to put true dual exhaust on it and a custom intake. From what I've read i need to change out the fuel system. I'm pretty sure the cooling and a/c system will work. I do have a new trans cooler to. I'm not even going to mess with the wiring I'm just going to change it all to the 2006 and work from there.

If ANYONE has attemped this please help me out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We need pics. :D

I've been trying, but I'm not sure exactly how to put them up. I searched how to do it and got more confewsed if you can tell me how that would be nice. Thanks

join photobucket.com

it gives u a code and u can copy and paste the code and the pics will show up

saleen series IV, and KB 2.1L SC's would have fit on the 2v 4.6L.

I suggest you return them if you can, there were a bunch of issues with the 06 6spd trannies.

i agree with shadowless pick up a 2v4.6 stroker and SC it. alot less work and my built tranny only ran me 1800 will me pulling it and installing it

Well guys I cant return them since they came out of my bosses rolled explorer And it only had 8200 miles. But it has be sitting for awhile so i need to clean it up some. I got it all for 1800 bucks. I also knew about the problems with the 06 trans. But everything i've read about there problem were all linked back to the ecu. I was told i could use the ecu from an 07 and it would take care of the problems. Or i could just get the ecu reflashed. Either way I'm sticking with them. Also the S/C is a Saleen Series VI should be fun. I also am going to put some money in to the engine and tranny to prepare it for the extra power.

Ill also attempt to post pictures tonight

i would sell the motor and everything you got with it. you got a steal for it so sell it for like 2500-3000 and pick up a built 4.6 then swap that in and throw the blower on that. a tranny you can pick up for 600 from a junk yard.i got my 4.6 stroked to a 5.0 for 2200 shipped. then your at what 2800. transfer case should bolt up if im thinking right. i also believe the original tranny will too. anyone wanna chime in on this.

i cant wait to see the pics tho

HPIM0190.jpg
BRnSs5BWkKGrHgoH-DUEjlLlw8DFBJ-9-4.jpg
HPIM0194-1-1.jpg

If this worked then thank you for telling me how to upload them. I tried to re sized them so them wouldn't be huge. see how it goes.
So the motor I need to clean up. The transmission I just got back from getting basically checked out, and there sitting in the garage. The S/c in what is subpost to be my laundry room. And well Explorers in the yard. I'm also remoulding my house in the middle of doing this. So that's why it looks like I live in a **** hole. Lots of fun for me... Soon They will be all together and hopefully running. Ive got new bumpers that will hopefully be done in two weeks. I've got some plans for it that have been put on hold for too long. Its been ran hard and abused, But this explorer hasn't ever had any major problems till now at 190,000 miles. So now that I have something else to drive and it's time to show it some love.

that supercharger is sexy. haha i can't wait to get home and dig into mine

thats crazy i have the exact explorer as you same color and everything. wierd

I'm going to clean it up today. and maybe tear it down. The Supercharger is very sexy.

I say sell it all off, build up a nice procharged 408W w/fuel injection, built/stalled AODE with a 9" rear and 4.10's. Lower it a bit, some nice wheels and kill some SRT8 Cherokee's:D Oh wait, that's my dream;)

Well guys im not gonna sell them. I have them already i just want to get it done. May not be the best swap, but i like it. I plan on putting a complete new interior too after its running.

Then I can't wait until the build thread starts:) With that setup on some decent boost, you'll be pushing 400+ at the tires;)

i wanna see the build too. after you get it done i wanna see some track times!!!! that thing should move

don't forget to order a slim fan and that stuff!!!! i ordered a 210 slimfan i think its called.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it'll be about 400hp to the wheels exactly. I need to know if I can do this brown wire mod to the newer transfer case? macknos94 you were talking about a fan.. How much cfm is it capable of pushing? I need at least 4000, that's what Ive been told. I'm going to put the engine and tranny in ready for the s/c but I'm not going to put it on to start off with. Just wanna get it running first then ill put it on. I need to get the ecu reprogrammed, and its like 600 bucks. Like saleen can do it to there mustang for cheaper but the power curve should be different for an SUV. Which they can still do but it's 600 at least. I'm positive I'm going to run in to issues just getting it to run fist that are going to cost me money.

I was also wondering if someone could send me some detailed pictures of an 06+ engine bay Thank you

Back