• Register Today It's free!

03 Explorer Running REALLY roug&

Guedes1997

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 X XLS 4.0 Flex 4wd
Hi I am a new member and I just bought an Explorer about 2 weeks ago.
I got it, it wasn't quite running well, I pulled the codes up and it was throwing a code for the camshaft position sensor. I did a tune up (spark plugs, wires, oil, all filters), changed camshaft position sensor and the car still took a lot to get to start. And kept running rough like it did plus I got it out of the parking space where it was then I went to clean up for 5 minutes, the car had no power whatsoever, I pushed the gas and nothing (in neutral or park, it would Rev up). I haven't cleared the code, does that matter? Also, tomorrow I will be changing the crankshaft position sensor and clearing the codes to see if it helps. Anything else I should check?

I appreciate any help, thank you!
Model details: 03 Explorer XLS 4.0 SOHC FlexFuel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Catalytic converter clogged....perhaps?

get the codes first, there may be more codes, that may help figure out what it could be.But i agree with syber tiger on the clogged converters..

I got p0340, that's it I changed battery and alternator, now it's much easier to start. It runs still runs very rough and it definitely has an exhaust leak. It stutters a bit when I put it into gear. After a while throttle response is 0 like you press it and NOTHING happens (only happens in gear).

I got p0340, that's it I changed battery and alternator, now it's much easier to start. It runs still runs very rough and it definitely has an exhaust leak. It stutters a bit when I put it into gear. After a while throttle response is 0 like you press it and NOTHING happens (only happens in gear).
I would be very interested to hear where this leads you. I am experiencing the same thing with 0 throttle response while in gear. I have codes for lean banks 1 & 2, so it's probably more complicated for me than the O2 sensors.
I agree that your issue, and probably my issue, is clogged CCs. My worry is that when they clog it's usually symptomatic of another issue upstream from them, like exhausting a bunch of unburned fuel, or if coolant or oil is getting in there some how.
I'll be interested to watch your progress.
One other thing, I noticed you said you also replaced your battery recently. Mine kept dying, and Im wondering if that had some impact on the computer systems.

do the rpms rise at all in gear or nothing....and in park you get some rise in rpms ..

The rpms won't go anywhere, I took it to a mechanic and he said the engine is blown, the thing is I don't have tools to test compression, so i don't really know if he was just trying to make some (a lot of) money out of me or if the engine is really blown. What I am going to do is consult with my gramps today (he was a mechanic for 60 years but as you imagine I did not want to trouble him), and see what he says, maybe, one thing i'll do is running the car directly off the exhaust manifold, see how it performs.

Pull off the oil pan and see how much plastic is laying in there? odds are quite a bit. Pretty common failure on these things. Search Death rattle.Pull off the oil pan and see how much plastic is laying in there? odds are quite a bit. Pretty common failure on these things. Search Death rattle.

Sounds like it's been inferred that your timing chains are the issue. It's my understanding that on the 4.0L its a common problem. If the 4.0 is an "interference" engine be careful that the piston don't crush the valves. Hopefully someone can comment as to if it's an interference or non-interference engine.

The rpms won't go anywhere, I took it to a mechanic and he said the engine is blown, the thing is I don't have tools to test compression, so i don't really know if he was just trying to make some (a lot of) money out of me or if the engine is really blown. What I am going to do is consult with my gramps today (he was a mechanic for 60 years but as you imagine I did not want to trouble him), and see what he says, maybe, one thing i'll do is running the car directly off the exhaust manifold, see how it performs.
if you can take down the exhaust just enough to let it breath, dont rev it to high if it will rev at all,,i havent had the timing chain issue yet, but if these engines are miss firing for long periods of time they can clog the cats up ....if that does not work its the timing chains, more then likely...keep us posted

if you can take down the exhaust just enough to let it breath, dont rev it to high if it will rev at all,,i havent had the timing chain issue yet, but if these engines are miss firing for long periods of time they can clog the cats up ....if that does not work its the timing chains, more then likely...keep us posted

So we freed up the cats, it still didn't fix the problem one thing we noticed is that the car won't hit anything higher than 3k RPM my Grampa says that's an issue. My Grampa is still gonna try a few things. I talked to him, he says there may not be a timing issue. We still didn't get the compression readings, but just by looking at it he says there's some kind of valve problem drivers side cylinder bank, which in my opinion still gonna lead us to replace the motor. I'll get back to you with anything that happens.

it may be the coil block.. good luck, and keep us posted

Pull off the oil pan and see how much plastic is laying in there? odds are quite a bit. Pretty common failure on these things. Search Death rattle.Pull off the oil pan and see how much plastic is laying in there? odds are quite a bit. Pretty common failure on these things. Search Death rattle.

I would do this next. There is a lower pan that takes about ten minutes to pull. You will know pretty quickly if your timing chain guides have come apart.

Back