03 PCM swap to 04 PCM

racprops

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6 4WD
OMG Why did NO ONE POINT THIS OUT??

They not only changed the Solenoid Packs and the PCM, THEY CHANGED THE PLUGS TO THE PCMS FROM AUG 03 on to smaller 04 Explorer TOTALLY DIFFERENT PLUGS!!!

So many PCM sellers, so many junk yards…so may face book and web sites and NOT one person pointed out that after Aug 03 FORD CHANGED the plugs.

Rich

Closeup PCM plugs.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

usually in what i order the first part is most important, points you in the right direction. the axc is probably the specific run, such as 98-01, or 01-02 for example, so what specifically what they fit. perhaps someone else may have more insight. let me do some more research. (side note, feel like i saw this post recently, are there multiple peopl havin this issue? or am i just stupid)

usually in what i order the first part is most important, points you in the right direction. the axc is probably the specific run, such as 98-01, or 01-02 for example, so what specifically what they fit. perhaps someone else may have more insight. let me do some more research. (side note, feel like i saw this post recently, are there multiple peopl havin this issue? or am i just stupid)
One user with multiple threads on the same topic. Anyone outside of ford won't know the differences between each revision.

One user with multiple threads on the same topic. Anyone outside of ford won't know the differences between each revision.
whoops im stupid alright. thought ive seen it before!

Your not Stupid, I got more info and found places here more on Transmission and on PCMs...

So after so many searches trying to find someone who can help came back to try to revive a dead horse.

I even tried Mustangs groups to learn they did not get the 5R55S until 05.

Rich

Your not Stupid, I got more info and found places here more on Transmission and on PCMs...

So after so many searches trying to find someone who can help came back to try to revive a dead horse.

I even tried Mustangs groups to learn they did not get the 5R55S until 05.

Rich
I've tried searching too, in the past when I've needed a pcm I would get anyone that was for my engine and it has always work, others have done the same.

Sorry, have been searching every nook and carnny all over the internet, with gotten only tiny bits of info.

Transmission is running a a Solenoid Pack from the original transmission with 203K on it.

Small data is upgraded the solenoids and yes the PCM should match.

AND that perhaps the 3L2A-12A650-AXB is coded, that 3L2A tells of the SUV, year and type, and that AXB tells of it type of program update.

I have been warned a mismatch might cause some problems.

As there has been almost no responces on the first tread I started I thought and hoped placing it in locations like transmission and PCM would catch the atation of people into such problems.

"I've tried searching too, in the past when I've needed a pcm I would get anyone that was for my engine and it has always work, others have done the same."

So are you saying the only thing that matters is it runs a 4.6 V8?? Have you or anyone switched from say a 03 PCM to a 04 PCM??

Rich

So are you saying the only thing that matters is it runs a 4.6 V8??
Engine and the same transmission. Ford did make updates over time but any 04 PCM will run the car just fine. The U pull it on 27th ave on the southside of town has acres of explorers

Engine and the same transmission. Ford did make updates over time but any 04 PCM will run the car just fine. The U pull it on 27th ave on the southside of town has acres of explorers

The old Ecology yard?? Know it well. Nice to meet a local.

So your main SUV is a 1991 Aerostar, do you have a 03 or 04 Explorer...and Shaggin Wagon is a OLD Van term...I am a long time VanMan...only Chevys...

Rich

The old Ecology yard?? Know it well. Nice to meet a local.

So your main SUV is a 1991 Aerostar, do you have a 03 or 04 Explorer...and Shaggin Wagon is a OLD Van term...I am a long time VanMan...only Chevys...

Rich
Looking at your profile picture, that looks like 19th ave and thunderbird area. A coworker at a previous job had an 03 explorer, I helped him work on it.

Well if we were playing Battleship...Miss....but close I am near there.

I will PM you.

Rich

Well if we were playing Battleship...Miss....but close I am near there.

I will PM you.

Rich
Close is good enough for me, it would be creepy if I could list an address from that photo

The green one is the grocery getter

20220607_155322.jpg

which green one ;) :p the FL, or the jeep

which green one ;) :p the FL, or the jeep
Both. The FL bring it to the stores and the jeep brings it home. I only paid $7,200 for that freightliner. I did the paint job in my driveway, it is bedliner. Motor is a 60 series Detroit. I had it remapped to 500 hp and 1650 twist. Without a trailer it can keep up with traffic.

And the white one with the deflector and I am guessing a sleeper??

And is that dark blue SUV next to the white big rig a Explorer??

Now those are some serious road machines...

Rich

Here is my 56 Hawk: And a 63 GT Hawk I think you friend might have.

My Hawk.jpg
My Red and White Hawk 3.jpg
63 GT Hawk.jpg

I think your right.

Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be an Excursion. 6.0 diesel, lifted 6 inches. White truck is a freightliner cascadia with a sleeper. There is also a ford LCF parked on the street. It was an impulse buy off craigslist.

Back